Raleigh Triathlon 531

SNight

Retro Guru
Just picked up a 1987 Raleigh Triathlon for £35. Reynolds 531 Frame and Forks and full Shimano 105 groupset inc hubs, headset and pedals. SR bars stem and fluted seatpost. Going off the 1987 catalogue its only missing the bottle cages, tyres, white bar tape and saddle, otherwise its all original.

Was hoping the frame would be ok but there is a bit too much rust for me and the stickers are peeling so think im going to go for a refinish. Can someone reccomend a company/person to copy the stickers for me?

Also wondering the best place to get it refinished, Ive heard a lot about C&G in Liverpool, not far from me as well so could take it there. The colour is classed as Citron in the 1987 Raleigh Catatlogue.

Reckon it would be worth it? or best to sell off the parts maybe??

Some pictures

RALEIGH1.jpg

RALEIGH2.jpg

RALEIHGH3.jpg

Never seen as much oil caked on a bike before but got it all off now!
Anybody tell me the best place to get new decals done? Thanks

dads got one of these hidden out in spain.. we spent a few weeks bringing it back to life last year.. replaced a few parts (like for like).. and have to say.. even though its gate sized. it rides ace.. the 105 groupo shifted nice and the frame felt nice n tight..

give it a strip down.. cut n wax it and take it from there... may clean up better than ya think ;)

white saddle and silver bar tape and two shimano bottles are missing i think.. judging from what was on dads pre clean up..

Ride it.

Agree with zotty, spend some time polishing, t-cutting, relubing etc. Ride it and see if you like it first.

The Triathlon is only 531 maintubes and forks don't forget, so a decent frame but not a full 531 tubeset.

Ride it.

Roadking.

cant see you polishing the rust away
if the outsides rusted through the paint i bet theres plenty of rust on the inside of the tubes
i have refurbed many old steel frames none of whitch had rust coming through the paint
it might ride ok but theres always the chance theres corrosin thats hidden

If you can get some one to knock some decals up,you will probably be looking at 25.00 to 30.00 quid(not including the reynolds one) and then to get blasted and painted or coated that gonna be a good 60.00(here in York anyway)so IMO I would be going for a good clean and polish or perhapes look for a better cond frame.

Good luck with the project though :D

Blimey, I repaired many a bike in the 70's that had a shed load more rust than that....the winter of discontent and all that, 3 day week and electric on 4 days. They had to ride them LOL

On our TT frames we used to spend our time drilling holes in the frame to take a more metal out than is missing with rust on that frame IMHO.

looks pretty sound to me

Shaun

It looks to me just like scabby rust from small paint chips. I would check that the seatpost moves though - the fluting would let water in if it's been that low for a while.

Clearly it's done loyal service as a commuter in all weathers. But it's a nice find for the money.

Ooh, that brings back memories. I bought one of these second hand in 1989 for £250 and then sold it on again in '92 for the same money!
If memory serves me correctly it had a Shimano 105 groupset.
My own one had the handlebars flipped and turned around and then cut down to make pursuit bars and then a set of tri bars bolted on.

Happy days.

0000 grade steel wool dipped in oil and you can remove 90% of the rust discolouration, tar spots and general muck will clean off. Then a T.Cut and wax. It will come up like new :)

Latest posts

Back