Can Wiggins win the Tour?

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Can Wiggins win the Tour? Yes.

Will Wiggins win the Tour? Probably not (but I hope that I'm wrong).

Why don't I have more faith, particularly with recent stage race wins? I'm not sure the week or so races compare to the relentless grind of a three week Grand Tour. I remember Wiggins suffering in the mountains in the Tour in 2009 (when he was an unmarked surprise package) and last years Vuelta (admittedly off the back of a broken collarbone) and he could lose minutes in just one bad day. That said, he'll likely take minutes out of the climbers in the time trials but more of an allrounder (Evans?) may be able to limit losses in the latter and gain more uphill.

Regardless, it promises to be one of the most open in years and if it's half as good as last year we'll be in for something special.

His form seems fairly impressive at the moment.
He took a big chunk outta Evans in the TT - and Evans is no mean TTer.
And looked good Friday riding up to Evans group on the final climb.
Haven't seen Sat stage yet - so things may have changed.

Disappointed in Schleck at the mo - very dull. At least Evans as a TDF champ seems to be interested - Schleck seems wholly unmotivated.

i'd say that he will be in the top 5, with a chance of winning mainly because this year there are alot of time trials (so i have been told, haven't looked myself yet)

i have been very impressed with his recent form, you're right regarding a week long race is not the same as a grand tour but they are good indicators of form and also wins give a mental edge.

i have to say though i am very impressed with team sky, i actually think they now come across as one of, if not the most professional team out there.

In form

He is certainly in form and currently lokking very good.
As he said on Friday regarding the time trial, that Evans lost a similar time last year but come the tour on the same roads he lost very little in comparison. It was still a masterful display though.
I personally being Australian hope that Evans wins again, but after Wiggins run of success so far with admitedly shorter stage races he has got to be the main favourite. Sky as a team are riding tactically brilliant.
As for Schleck, he hasn't even finished a race this year, and even Bruyneel stated the other day that he can win the tour within the next few years. Sounds ominous that he doesnt think he can do it this year. Certainly my least favourite rider, he's all talk and virtually never backs it up on the road. Lately he cant have one good day, let alone 21 in a row.
If Liquigas ride like they did at the Giro and Nibali can finish it of better than Basso, he could be in with a chance.
Roll on July :)

Jamie

With no Contador this year i'd say he has the best chance he will ever get. He would have been very close last year had he not crashed out as he would have stuck with Evans on the climbs imo and then it would have been down to the TT.

Team Sky look very professional and if they can carry this over to the Tour from the Criterium then this will no doubt unsettle a few of the other teams.

Their real problem imo is if they try and go for both the Green and the Yellow - how much will this take out of the other Sky riders chasing down breakaways to go for a sprint stage when really on those days you want to be resting the best you can. Also assuming Froome is in the team for the tour what a man to have supporting you when you are in the high mountains, this must be close to the Schelcks having each other in the mountains.
Yesterday in the crit i think there were four Sky riders + Brad climbing together and staying together over the final climb - okay it is not the tour but if that is carried over to the tour how can teams compete with that? The only way really is a Contador aggressive type of attack - okay the Schlecks are capable but their TT is not the best, who else can attack on the climbs like that and then TT?

Good point about Sky not being able to go for Yellow and Green simultaneously and it certainly looks like they will back Wiggins in the Tour - Cav to pull out before the mountains to go for the Olympic Road Race?

Re: In form

Jamiedyer":anwol5ja said:
I personally being Australian hope that Evans wins again....

I met Evans in Italy - a week before the 2010 TDF - he was out on a training ride on his own with a big Audi as cover.
Anyway - followed him up a series of switchbacks - awesome the way he rode em. Muscle definition in his calves - and the cadence he managed while out of the saddle - sheesh

I pulled past him - stopped at the top - as I had a plane to catch. When Evans got to the top - he wasn't even out of breath. It was 30degC and he had ONE bead of sweat on his forehead.
We had a chat - really, really nice guy - signed an autograph for me - so I was chuffed when he won it last year!

Back