raleigh record sprint (black and gold) refurb! help!

sprintnick

Retro Newbie
Hello people, this is my first post and my first bike project. I am restoring a Raleigh record sprint that I bought off a friend. The bike wasn't in too bad condition, a little rust and a few scratches on the frame. Which I have stripped and started prepping for a re-spray. As a result I have had to remove all the decals which were in a poor state. Does anyone know where I can get some more decals? Or made up?
Also all the gold colouring has faded/come off the brake calipers, brake levers and crank arms, does anyone know if they were anodized originally? If so where could I get them re-finished in the Sheffield area.

Thank you so much for helping, I know its a lot of questions! Sorry to be cheeky

Attachments

• rps20120609_195442.jpg
    rps20120609_195442.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 1,324
Getting any anodising done costs a fortune ! I enquired at a Nottingham firm and they quoted £175 to anodise a chainset :oops:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Wrapping of parts on a bike would be pointless as the parts will have many curves and straight edges and will eventually peel !

If i'm not mistaken i don't think you can do any gold wrapping as it too brittle and when gold vinyl is heated up it fucks up.

Go for the first brakes in Tel's links much better than the originals.

As Ian says I wouldn't bother trying to wrap any bicycle parts possibly the only part you may get away with is the bars but ii all honesty I think they'd look shite to put it bluntly.

Looking at the picture I'd say that the most faded part is the chainset. The only gold alternative I can find at a reasonable price is this Sturmey Archer http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STURMEY-ARCHE ... 4cfe2c7d73 but it is only single speed. You could use spacers and mount two rings on there I'm sure but I wouldn't.

I'd be tempted to change it to a black chainset (as the newer Record Spint had) but add Gold chainring bolts and maybe a gold inner ring (black outer) to keep the bling. eBay revealed these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOWA-Double-A ... 3a75449ca5 which would look fantastic imo, but a little dear!

I did have a very similar bike just had a different paint job, I can't recall the name, and I remember the chainrings were steel which added quite a bit of weight to the bike.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back