Advice required on my Raleigh SBDU frame

shawnb

Senior Retro Guru
I've got this frame and forks, it has Ilkeston stickers and 531 professional tubing. The digits on the lovely cinelli BB point to a 1986 build but what about the jaj 1.86? There's no tag for a number but i've just got this feeling the jaj would have been a riders initials and 1.86 would be first bike for the 1986 season :D

Looking for wiser Raleigh boffs than me to enlighten me please ;)

Shawn.

photo83.jpg

Jos Alberts frame ?

Not an afficianado like Roadking but I thought they marked the riders frames..

Shaun

Hmmm that would be cool, it came from the netherlands too ;)

More pics, it's a lovely frame. Very little use indeed as the dropouts are only marked once or twice. A bit grubby here and there but it's in excellent condition.

bfekfr012.jpg

bfekfr013.jpg

bfekfr014.jpg

is this ANOTHER frame, shawn?!!

i've never seen an SBDU frame in that colour or with additional markings on the bb shell. i have no doubt it's a raleigh - i'd recognise one of their frames in a dark room!!

how did you come by this one?

craig :shock:

Just an observation about Raleigh and their forray into the world of Pro-Cycling.........and the above frame.

I rode about in the cars (Morris Marina) following the UK pro-teams in the 70's, hanging out the window and hoping that my hero Phil Bayton would win and there would be several wheels and the odd spare bike hanging around for the Falcon / Viking / Holdsworth teams... like a family picnic LOL

Then Peter Post seemed to spend an absolute shed load of money on riders / support / kit / hour record / for raleigh so I wouldn't be surprised if each rider had 5 numbered frames as a domestique..

Shaun

shawnb":3m252ciz said:
I've got this frame and forks, it has Ilkeston stickers and 531 professional tubing. The digits on the lovely cinelli BB point to a 1986 build but what about the jaj 1.86? There's no tag for a number but i've just got this feeling the jaj would have been a riders initials and 1.86 would be first bike for the 1986 season :D

Shawn.

photo83.jpg

From my dive into SBDU numbering, it isn't normal to have the SB serial AND the pros initials on the same frame. Pro frames had the rider initials and bike number /year and not the SB number. Another oddity is that most pro frames also only used 2 initials and not 3.

Having said that, there is a frame with the same colour scheme in the Yahoo TI raleigh pro database with an SB number and a similar reference to yours. If I remember correctly it goes EKM 1.86 - It's strange that I have only ever seen this twice, and that on the 2 occasions, both frames have the same colour scheme, both have the traditional SB number, both have 1.86 and both have 3 initials.

I'm not an expert (i don't think anyone can claim to be an expert on Ilkeston frame numbering and record keeping), but as someone suggested to me, it may be a stock frame that was used by a pro (Ilkeston did produce stock frames - not everything was a special order)

Thanks all. I must admit the colour has grown on me - the original plan was to respray it to team colours but I will put that on hold. It was another lucky ebay find, badly listed and a middle of the night end time (despite only being in Amsterdam??!!!)
I did joing the yahoo group for my previous SBDU team frame but need to find my login details again to ask on there.
If I find the time one day I may build it up with the SR stuff I have on my other team frame to see what it looks like.
Maybe I'll never know exactly what all that means under the BB....

shawnb":lhkv9cs2 said:

Shawn.

photo83.jpg

Hi Shawn,

nice to see another of your obsessions, sorry acquisitions!

This is an interesting frame for me, in that it is built with the 531P tubeset, just like mine (ordered new from Ilkeston).

Originalshinkickers comment is valid, but I've made this point myself many times on here - and that is doubts about the reliability of information about SBDU frame numbering (and Raleigh generally - especially on Wiki).

Nothing would surprise me about an SBDU frame, when I ordered mine I requested my date of birth as the frame number (on the BB shell), the frame has an"official"frame number but this is on my invoice only - when I ordered the frame I knew I would never sell it.

Finally if the"1/86"is the date of build (I suspect it is), then it will be one of the last in 531P, this tubeset was superseded by 653 in 1986.

I have also seen this Raleigh font style before - so no surprises there. With regard to off the peg frames - the SBDU only produced two types (in very small quantities), yours isn't one of those.

I believe I have the only genuine SBDU catalogue in existence, I've never seen another; so I maybe unique in that I ordered a frameset from Ilkeston in 1985 and have kept the catalogue from then.

Well done Shaun, another cracking frameset.

Roadking.

Thanks Roadking, I just had a feeling about the f&f when I saw it. Last week me and my wife had just lost our dear old cat and I needed cheering up. In the same night I won this and a '78 gios super record. It did indeed cheer me up a bit but my wife went mental :LOL:
I certainly wont be changing the colour on this as it's looking like a nice rare combination in lovely original condition. I can't afford to buy all new SR stuff on it now (maybe not ever) but it deserves something like that.
I must now consider selling both of my 'nago's now. I've realised the late '70's - mid '80's is my preferred era bike wise.

Thanks again, Shawn.

Latest posts

Back