Straightening 531 forks?

stedlocks

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
So I've got a chance of getting hold of a beautiful frame and fork, from one of the best lightweight builders ever.....name will remain secret for now!
The minor thing I'm quibbling over, is the front fork has a slight 'twist' to it.....it has cracked the paint a bit too. There doesn't appear to be any damage to the frame at all, and I am sure it hasn't had a head on.
Normally I wouldn't go nearr this, due to the damage, but it's a maker I love and has incredible provenance........and the price is right too.

So the question......how 'do-able' is it to re-track the fork?
I don't want to put new ones on, as this is a complete deal...

Without seeing the fork it's hard to tell, but if it's not cracked then it's probably doable. I had an unfortunate episode with a gate on my MTB years ago, cracked the headtube away from the frame and bent the forks slightly back in towards the DT. A local framebuilder filler brazed the HT back in place and straightened the forks, and it's been fine ever since. If the f+f are worth it, then I'd take it to a framebuilder to get checked out and cold set. It shouldn't cost much moneywise, especially if he doesn't have to take a torch to it, and they have the alignment tools and knowledge to do it correctly.

go on, tell us what frame it is!

Steel is pretty forgiving and we straightened out quite a few prangs in the 70's from the usual switching in Kermess's to the not quite making it around the corner...........

As long as there is no rippling on the inner surface (compresson) and it's not near a lug which may be cracked then re-setting didn't seem to be a problem..........

Shaun

Thanks Shaun, I don't think there are any compression marks,as you describe....I'll check it over thoroughly beforehand though.

Thanks very much

Back