Beenbag !!

Ian Raleigh

rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Hi guys.

Some of you old-timers will remember Beenbag who made cycle clothing ! The big question are they still going ?

Makers of the infamous furry inserts for shorts. Made you look - and feel - as if you were wearing a (rather sweaty) nappy. Their overall quality was good though.

Haven't heard of them for ages.

I was flicking through a Cycling mag from winter 1978 and they were trading then...............including the infamous chamois replacement mentioned by old ned.

Shaun

Beenbag

Beenbag clothing was made up on teeside by a lady called molly 'beenbag'

they were my co sponsors when I rode for Truemans Steel in the late 70/80's..

In those days the restrictions on adverts on clothing was very strict, also there was no such thing as coloured shorts..

It was me who was the first person to wear a skin suit in cross and I think also in the UK (Dave Lloyd might not agree).

I think in 1978 I had ridden for Truemanns Steel wearing the Manchester Wheelers Colours

For the following season it was decided that I would use the Yellow and Red of Truemanns Steel.. when I got the design from Molly she had made the skinsuit with red shorts !!! She had checked the rules and there was no mention of the word 'black' -it said dark coloured, and she said that red was a darker colour than yellow !!!

So I rode in the famous red shorts from the begining of the cross season till late october when Truemanns received a letter from the BCF threaning to ban the team unless we went back to black which we did !!! They did not accept that red was a darker colour than Yellow !!!

They were called "Beenbag" because the factory they worked from had formerly been used to make bags.

Molly was quite a character. Our paths crossed at many a trade show.

No longer in business but I've no idea of the circumstances of their demise.

Beenbag

Midlife":2vhesnvc said:
Did you race against Atkins / Harry Quinn at the end of the 70's ? :D

Shaun

Hi Shaun,

missed the season when John and Chris Dodd rode for Harry Quinn (Frank Clements actually) and was supposed to take over from them at Harry Quinn.. Actually rode for 4 weeks but never got any bikes/spares just a jersey, so the contract was stopped by the BCF and I was lucky to get a contract with Truemanns Steel...

Had a pair of the knitted Beenbag tights - toasty.

You're right about us 'old timers': I had a go on a local national hill climb course (Sheriffmuir) at the weekend for the first time in 28 years knowing full well I was never going to make it on a 42x21 but I didn't even get past the first hairpin!! I doubt any gearing would get me up in my present condition. Still, was great to be back up there again (for a walk :D ) on a machine from that era - an '84 SL frame/13-21 freewheel/GP4 rear and a new prize bit of teenaged lusted-after stuff - a GEL280 on a Mavic 500 :cool:. I'd planned on another, err... assault today but the weather's set in but just as soon as it dries a bit later.... :cool:.

I've still got my black knitted Beenbag legging and are still used weekly, talk about hard wearing ? I've had them since 1986 :LOL:

Back