Reynolds tubing weight comparisons

shawnb

Senior Retro Guru
Someone posted in the last few months a chart that compared the various weights for a length of reynolds tubing. I'd like to compare 531c with 531p with 753. Can anybody remember the post?
Cheers!

Cheers, sounds promising, can't open the links at the mo but it may be due to my internet playing up.

Cheers, Shawn.

That's a top resource, but why is 'standard' 531 rarely listed, only 'C', 'P', 'Magnum', 'ST' and other exotics... ?

I'd like to know how much more 'special' these other varieties of 531 are compared to the standard.

1988_Ben":2wfvr5d9 said:
That's a top resource, but why is 'standard' 531 rarely listed, only 'C', 'P', 'Magnum', 'ST' and other exotics... ?

I'd like to know how much more 'special' these other varieties of 531 are compared to the standard.

I gather 531 itself is the steel and C, ST etc were just pre-packaged sets of tubes with different wall thicknesses. By the time Reynolds introduced the various sets, AFAIK there wasn't a "standard" 531. Before that there was 531 double butted and 531 plain gauge, both which I guess came in various gauges.

But at the same time you could buy a 531c frame, you could buy a 531 frame, i.e. 'standard'. The latter was still a very nice frameset of course.

Frame weights

Just for reference have a Battaglin Columbus SL tubing and forks
size 56cm (22 3/4 ")
Frame weight is 1.9 kg
Forks in chrome 690 grams

hope this helps

Back