Star nut and ahead - advice please

DA-EVO

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I have an ahead cane creek fitted to an older frame and the fork is 1" threadless. The top cap I have expands rather than tightens when erm, well tightened.

My question is this. Should a star nut be under tension to hold the headset taught or should it sit there not under pressure as you tighten the ahead stem in place. I am getting gradual looseness through the headset and want to curb it. I tightened then bar stem to f.tight but it is gradually getting loose.

Help!

Thanks

D

There is something wrong if the headset works loose with the stem tight. The star nut / top cap is there to pre-tension the bearing until the stem collar is tightened.

Either:
1 The bearing cups were not snug in the frame and are working their way in (common)
2 The headset ran loose and is ovalised slightly, these can be horrors to keep tight.

For 1, retighten and tell off whoever installed the cups...

For 2, I have solved it by removing the brake and front wheel, tightening the headset up and then spinning the whole steering several revolutions. This seems to settle the bearings into their loosest position. You may then need to retighten.

Thanks for this. I think the problem may be a combo of what you said plus the top cap I have doesn't really add anything to the tension as it just expands inside the steerer, doesn't tension anything.

I think I will go and seek a star nut and do it that way - plus do the fitting in the manner you suggested.

Cheers

D

Back