Hubs 28, 32 or 36 holes?

mauricer

Senior Retro Guru
hi,

just starting to rebuild my old Klein racer with some modern hi-tech and looking into buying two Hope Pro3 hubs for my wheels. How do i decide which ones i have to buy, given the fact that they either have 28, 32 or 36 holes. Can someone explain the importance and the difference when you chose either (apart from having less spokes)?

thx

hubs

I would suggest that you take the rim choice and your body weight into consideration. Good old 'stones' are a rough rule of thumb.

For example if you are over say 11stone and are wanting a low profile rim such as an Open Pro or Reflex or a retro rim like an SSC, Classic or similar then you will be looking for 32 for stiffness. Be warned that unless you are very light or are running a deeper section rim such as CXP33 or Velocity Aero etc you will not get the tension required even with CXRays or DT Aerolites and you will end up with low lateral stiffness.

There is also the problem with lower spoke count low profile rims with high spoke tension: they 'pinch' at the spokes and in extreme cases can lead to pulsing at the brakes and uneven wear on the braking surface.
The above does not apply to heavier rims such as some Rigidas, Ambrosio, Pianni and Sun. Some Mavic rims that were originally intended for factory built wheels such as Cosmos, Cosmic and Aksium etc are different. They are heavier and have a lower spoke count. Dont touch them - you will build a better wheel with 32h or 36h.

If you are over 13stone or are extremely powerful then 36h is the answer.

If you run a 32 hole front and are under 13stone you could go for a radial spoke pattern - as long as the hub is compatible. I would always go 3x myself as this results in a more reliable wheel. If you are doing sportives like Etape du Tour then you want reliablity and not the fear of a fragile 'trendy' build.

Its all a matter of function over fashion. Leave the low spoke counts to the sponsored teams that can afford to bin them if a spoke goes.

Latest posts

Back