A General Moan About Deda Bar Tape

Dead Bar Tape, should it be plain or printed?

• Plain please :)

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Printed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Robbied196

Senior Retro Guru
I know we live in an age where the label is king, but it seems to have reached the point where it defeats functionality!

Why do Deda feel the need to print 'Deda' every 3" all along one edge of their bar tape?

Despite trying very carefully, its impossible to wrap drop handlebars without 'Deda' showing through somewhere :facepalm:

A good bar tape ruined by their own need to advertise.

Attachments

• deda-brown-fake-leather-look-bar-tape-1739-p.jpg
    deda-brown-fake-leather-look-bar-tape-1739-p.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 1,158
that bugs me too. plain just looks so much nicer! try the fizik tape - it looks very similar to deda, and works very well. last time I bought some it didn't have anything printed on it.

foz":2pr1g2dn said:
that bugs me too. plain just looks so much nicer! try the fizik tape - it looks very similar to deda, and works very well. last time I bought some it didn't have anything printed on it.

Unfortunately, I bought mine off an Ebay listing where the photo showed it as being a plain tape. I needed to get it done so I hoped I could get it to wrap without showing the Deda print, by which time I was committed and it wasn't in a fit state to box up and return.

You live and learn! Fizik next time :)

If you don't like it, why buy it ?

I've had Deda bar tape on various bikes, and it doesn't have their logo on it. Sometimes is embossed into the tape itself, but I've certainly never seen it printed on in white. There are plenty of other makes to choose from... :?

Anyhow, why can't you apply the overlapping edge on top of the logo side ? Are you trying to get the layering as thin as possible, hence you're applying a minimum overlap ?

1988_Ben":30047lhv said:
If you don't like it, why buy it ?

I've had Deda bar tape on various bikes, and it doesn't have their logo on it. Sometimes is embossed into the tape itself, but I've certainly never seen it printed on in white. There are plenty of other makes to choose from... :?

Anyhow, why can't you apply the overlapping edge on top of the logo side ? Are you trying to get the layering as thin as possible, hence you're applying a minimum overlap ?

As I said above, the Ebay listing I bought from showed it as being plain, once it arrived I needed the job done so didn't have time to mess about returning.
Yes you can wrap it so the logo side is covered, but as soon as you start working around the bends it becomes impossible. You could have each wrap very close to the previous one, but then you run out of tape before you finish.
I can't work out why anyone would want 'deda' all around their handlebars.

Its got to be cheaper to produce if its not printed, and my guess is they would sell a lot more.

Yeah that kind of things bugs me too. I don't mind the odd logo as long as it looks good and is discreet.

The Fizik Microtex is very good, not very padded but looks very retro, wears well, cleans up nice and is relatively cheap (well, shed loads cheaper than the Brookes white leather anyway).

I used a cotton bud with a little Propanone (nail varninsh remover) and it seems to take the silver painted on lettering off without damaging the tape. I ended up with a plain brown tape.

Mind you, why did Deda choose a shade of brown that is exactly the same colour that which comes out of the back of my next door neighbours dog?

sletti":1xzfqqp6 said:
I used a cotton bud with a little Proanone (nail varninsh remover) and it seems to take the silver painted on lettering off without damaging the tape. I ended up with a plain brown tape.

Mind you, why did Deda choose a shade of brown that is exactly the same colour that which comes out of the back of my next door neighbours dog?

Great tip, tried it and its works perfectly! :D

Back