Tour de France 1989

bilko6

Dirt Disciple
In 2014, I'm thinking of doing a ride following the route of the 1989 Tour on its 25th anniversary. I've got the start/finish towns for each day but I'd really like to follow the exact route. Does anyone have any details from old Cycling Weekly's or Winning Mag?. I'm sure that in their Tour specials, they used to give a fairly comprehensive routing for each day.
Any assistance would be appreciated.

bilko6":c1grczft said:
In 2014, I'm thinking of doing a ride following the route of the 1989 Tour on its 25th anniversary. I've got the start/finish towns for each day but I'd really like to follow the exact route. Does anyone have any details from old Cycling Weekly's or Winning Mag?. I'm sure that in their Tour specials, they used to give a fairly comprehensive routing for each day.
Any assistance would be appreciated.

If you can give me few days I have a"Winning"guide with a map of the '89 Tour.

Roadking.

That's a top idea - I'm most envious. You must write it up and post it here once you're done.

I've got in on video tape somewhere....my all time favourite and responsible for getting me hooked on bike racing, and buying Z-Vetements lycra leggings, which I've still got !

Are you going to recreate Robert Millar's winning attack to Superbagnères ?

1988_Ben":1mlpx55i said:
Are you going to recreate Robert Millar's winning attack to Superbagnères ?

Re-enactment top tip no.2: get a mate to come along with you, but make sure you complete the whole trip 8 seconds before he does. ;)

David

I watched that Robert Millar clip so often I could repeat Phil Ligget's commentary word for word. I think that I'll probably be more like poor old Lemond at the to of Superbagneres.....total collapse. Love the 8 seconds idea. Maybe I'll grow a pony tail as well.

what a terrific idea!! if you're looking for a delgado, fignon, theunisse et al then let me know - my old cycling buddies and i were in our prime back in '89 and would love to do something like this!

oh, and it would take us at LEAST two years' training to get in shape for it!!

craig

:LOL:

Two years is cutting it fine for me. And as far as growing a pony tail a la
Millar and Fignon, I'd be happy just to grow hair.

ps...was in the lead for your mates TVT with just 8 seconds to go. Damn those richer than me.

rusty bodie":1x00ww0h said:
what a terrific idea!! if you're looking for a delgado, fignon, theunisse et al then let me know - my old cycling buddies and i were in our prime back in '89 and would love to do something like this!

oh, and it would take us at LEAST two years' training to get in shape for it!!

craig

:LOL:

That would be one hell of a reunion ! I'd have to call up my old mate Theo who bought a 'Delgado' replica TVT with C-Record and full Reynolds Alumino kit. I wouldn't be able to do Lemond as I recently sold my ADR clothing.

Another re-enactment idea - the top 5 in GC crashing into straw bales on the run into Aix Les Bains...

bilko6":uh5p9c04 said:
ps...was in the lead for your mates TVT with just 8 seconds to go. Damn those richer than me.

I do hope you're not making that one up. Pipped to it by 8 seconds. What are the chances, eh? ;)

Still, now and again, System U (later Castorama) team replica Raleigh 653-tubed frames turn up on eBay so that might be worth a punt as an alternative. I've seen one out & about in Winchester, its owner has put RaceBlades on it and uses it as a commuter....personally if it was mine it'd be in "front line service" :)

David

Back