just removed the chain set off my Royal Enfield

an i thought it was a William's

its a 3 bolt, exactly the same as this one

i believe mine is a C1200?

judging on this picture

Williams-C1200-49T-3-32_sml.jpg

mine looks identical

IMG_0137_2.jpg

but i cant find any stamps on the arms to say its a Williams?

Isn't the "N" for Nicklin ?

The Williams arms had raised bosses so that the chainrings stayed in place and didn't slide about without the bolts. The idea being that it was stronger.

It's a long time ago and my memory isn't like it was LOL

Shaun

Midlife":ertle33c said:
Isn't the "N" for Nicklin ?

The Williams arms had raised bosses so that the chainrings stayed in place and didn't slide about without the bolts. The idea being that it was stronger.

It's a long time ago and my memory isn't like it was LOL

Shaun

You're right Shaun.

Nicklin.

Williams as far as I know were always marked and dated clearly - at least mine are.

Rk.

Fantastic!

Thanks, anyone got any info on them?

my Google skills must be lacking as i cant seem to find anything

Hi. On the I phone so not typing well. Looking at cycling mag 29.7.1978 and there is an advert for Nicklin chainsets by E Nicklin and sons ltd, willenhall, west midlands. Tel 0902 65451. The pic looks a dead ringer for a Williams

Shaun.

Midlife":b95zc5db said:
Hi. On the I phone so not typing well. Looking at cycling mag 29.7.1978 and there is an advert for Nicklin chainsets by E Nicklin and sons ltd, willenhall, west midlands. Tel 0902 65451. The pic looks a dead ringer for a Williams

Shaun.

I vaguely remember Dad acquiring some Nicklin stuff (chromed steel rings and cottered cranks) on the cheap around the time they left the bike components business. I forget why; the firm he worked for were either part of the same group of companies as Nicklin or else did a lot of work for them. I grew up not very far from Willenhall [1] and certainly remember the factory building, which I think might still be standing but under different ownership of course.

David

[1] Funny how the (chain)wheel has sort of come full circle....these days I live not a million miles from the Middleburn factory. ;)

Trying to think back to the old day's I am sure that some of the cranks and chainrings were interchangable between Williams and Nicklin.

I am sure a lot of people thought that Nicklin was a Williams brand name........rather like Ultegra is a Shimano brand name.

Shaun

MudCow, it looks like a C1200 ring, the cranks would be slim solid forged, the arms in one piece with the crank, wheras the nicklin and most other Williams were "joggled", the crank arms pressed on the crank after plating. The chainring shape was to enable removal over the pedal with toeclip.

Back