Dating Veloce Ergopowers?

ninety

Onnnne Huuuunnnndrreeed and Eigggghhhhty
Feedback
View
Hello

I'm building up an M-Trax Cr-Mo frame I picked up on the cheap into my main bike and, mainly due to the fact I find the levers more comfortable, I've decided to go Campagnolo (for the first time). I know nothing about Campag...

I've come by some Veloce shifters, that I'm told are 9 speed, but that's as much as I know. Can anyone on here give me a rough date they're from please? I believe this will make a difference as to whether I need to get a pre or post-2000 rear mech to go with them?

Also, in preliminary playing, the main lever has a nice, strong click to it, but the button doesn't seem to move - would this need some cable tension behind it to work?

Any help/advice/telling me to go Shimano, would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000016.jpg
    WP_000016.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 435
Pointy top shifters are pre-1998. You can update the insides with later shifters (the wonderful thing about Campag is that they are rebuildable).

So you need a pre-2001 rear mech in all likelihood. These have the b-tension screw in the same place as Shimano.

For front shifting, it's micro-adjust and works with just about any mech you can lay your hands on.

Excellent, thanks for the quick reply - I was prepared for a rebuild if necessary, but since the click is nice and strong perhaps it's not needed (or am I being too simplistic?). Is it worth doing the springs and holders as a precautionary?

Figured I'd be OK with the front mech (I've a Campag one of some sort from a bike I stripped down last year), but it's really helpful to know the date in terms of the rear - I seem to remember seeing a suitable mech in the For Sale recently...

Thanks again
A

I've a couple of Record fronts in the toolbox if you get stuck.

My 1994 Records have been impeccable - I would leave them until something goes wrong. If the thumb lever is floppy then it sounds like a G-spring has snapped. They are about £1 each, make sure you replace the pair while you are at it! The later springs are identical so don't worry if you find that early ones are not available. There are plenty of 'how to' guides on YouTube, or Mercian do a rebuild service.

This is all sounding good! The thumb lever isn't floppy, it feels like there's very little movement at all - I guess because of the direction it'll shift in, there's not much need for lots of movement as it's only ever releasing cable tension?

It'll be interesting to get them going, my first road bike without downtube shifters!

Also thanks for the offer on the Record fronts - if things don't work out with what I've got, I'll be back your way with a handful of cash.

Back