Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:43 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:50 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Location: Completely in the dark, thanks to me good mate Terry....
Jcosh wrote:
Thank you everybody for the replies suggestions. This is what I've concluded, all subject to change if further suggestions / advise is received:

Wipperman / Connex chain seems to be the way the to go, so I'll try one of those. I assume that the 8sX is just a slightly better version of he 808?

Still wondering about chainrings. Maybe TA rings are worth a closer look? They look quite similar to the design of the originals?

The Wippermann 8sx is the stainless steel version of the 808, and is about double the price as a consequence. But its major shininess will suit the chainrings well if you go for TA ones with their high-polish finish! Personally I'd go for TA rings regardless of matching the original design - the excellent workmanship and long lifespan justify the high price.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:15 am 
Old School Grand Master

Location: Completely in the dark, thanks to me good mate Terry....
David B wrote:
Jcosh wrote:
Thank you everybody for the replies suggestions. This is what I've concluded, all subject to change if further suggestions / advise is received:

Wipperman / Connex chain seems to be the way the to go, so I'll try one of those. I assume that the 8sX is just a slightly better version of he 808?

Still wondering about chainrings. Maybe TA rings are worth a closer look? They look quite similar to the design of the originals?

The Wippermann 8sx is the stainless steel version of the 808, and is about double the price as a consequence. But its major shininess will suit the chainrings well if you go for TA ones with their high-polish finish! Personally I'd go for TA rings regardless of matching the original design - the excellent workmanship and long lifespan justify the high price.

David

Usual disclaimer (no connection with the firm other than as a satisfied customer, blah, blah, blah) but worth pointing out that Wiggle currently have the Wippermann 808 chain on offer at £12.59 (post free in UK). Just bought one in anticipation of the next cyclo-cross season [1]. :)

David

[1] Yes, I'm still racing on 8-speed kit. Seems to stand up better to the rigours of off-road, having witnessed other riders' 9- and 10-speed chains snap on a few occasions mid-event. Modern derailleurs with fancy carbon bits also seem to come to grief fairly often in cyclo-cross.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:47 pm 
Dirt Disciple

David B wrote:
David B wrote:
Jcosh wrote:

David

Usual disclaimer (no connection with the firm other than as a satisfied customer, blah, blah, blah) but worth pointing out that Wiggle currently have the Wippermann 808 chain on offer at £12.59 (post free in UK). Just bought one in anticipation of the next cyclo-cross season [1]. :)

David

I am in throws of getting the last few bits for the build and still need to get the chain. There seems to be plenty of places selling the 808 but not he 8sX. Does anybody know of a uk supplier or am I wasting money on 8sX. Is the 808 good enough?

The frame looks great now that it is back from the painters. Just getting the LBS to but the headset and BB in before I complete the build.

Cheers Jonathan