koga fullpro - Dura Ace headset dont fit?

twofakie

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
Hi Guys, got a little problem, i'm building a koga fullpro with dura-ace parts from a gents-luxe-s. The fullpro is a 53ct (55DD), the gents is a 56. So the gents is a bit bigger than the fullpro, so is the length of the fork.
Anyway : )
When i put the headset on the fullpro, there is no space for the lockring and the topring to go on top. The top of the fork seems too short : (
Have a look at the pics, you'll see what i mean.

photo1.jpeg

photo2.jpeg

photo3.jpeg

photo4.jpeg

photo5.jpeg

My question is this: surely these headsets are all kind of one size?!?
Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks for yer help!
Pero

Must've had a lower headset stack height than the 600 your are trying to fit i.e the total height of the headset took less thread.

Edit - oh I see that is a DA headset you're trying to fit....

Just checked VeloBase to see if there is any stack height difference between 600ex and Dura Ace ex (the group that was probably fitted to your Koga) but they are both listed as 38mm.

Perhaps a later very low stack like a 600 Ultegra (6400) was fitted and the headtube cut accordingly?

I wonder if a previous owner chopped the fork down for a Pista headset which has a low stack height too ?

Shaun

7600 is very rare and cost you an absolute fortune (which may not be a problem of course). Low stack height headsets are Shimano 6400, Shimano 1050, Tange Passage and Chris King.

You may get away with a Dura Ace 7400. Yes you can leave out the locknut.

Ha, i noticed that, very pricey indeed. Thanks for your suggestions. Ebay it is...until then, no locknut...see what happens : )

I've got this Japanese headset with a very low stack height for £10, not really upto the same quality as your Koga but will get you on the road:

P1150174.jpg

Thanks, i'll keep that in mind.
I'm considering some sawing first : ) I could trim the top part of that headset, just below where the locknut goes..think it could work.

Back