Help with a tired old Bianchi - project

gregs656

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi Guys, I have found my self the owner of a very tired old Bianchi. It was free. Anyway, I'm having a bit of trouble working out what model it is so maybe someone could help? I appreciate it's quite a way past it's prime.

I will put pictures in the next post.

Nice

Nice find!
A full side on shot would be nice.
I can just make out part of the decal on the downtube and am sure I have seen that recently :? Will have a dig about and return with more info.
It looks pretty good for free, some of the parts may be beyond it but that frame looks not too bad. A bead blast and repaint will have it looking a million dollars as long as its sound.

Jamie

Yer the frame actually isn't too bad, in fact, nothing apart from the chromed bits are *that* bad - for example, the seat post wasn't seized at all.

I have this side shot of when I got it, it's been cleaned up some since then. I literally pulled it out of a skip, walked it home, hosed it down and took this picture. Check out that chain.

Here's the seat post when I pulled it out, couldn't believe it to be honest.

There's no question that this was anything other than a budget bianchi, but it will do me if I can get it going.

Not now I've taken an angle grinder to it :LOL:

I spent an hour freeing up the brakes yesterday, stripped them down and sorted them out a bit so they all work. I ordered some tubes, tyres and a new chain today, so they will make a difference. Going to tidy up the front and rear derailleurs tomorrow, they move freely but could use a bit of attention.

I'd quite like to repack the bearings in the BB and headset - there's no play and they're not notchy at all but it seems like the sensible thing to do. I'm guessing the headset should be reasonably easy but what would I need to do the BB?

Love that chain - looks like when I tried to draw a circle on an etch-a-sketch. :shock:

The BB is easy as long as you have the right tool and it's definitely a good idea having a look at the bearings. Is there a locknut on the opposite-to-drive-side? That needs to come off (you can use a bit of wood as a wedge, and whack it with a hammer if you don't have the tool) then slide the BB cup out. If it's the sort of BB I think it is. Fingers crossed it isn't rusted together.

It certainly is a low-end Bianchi but it's a free Bianchi nonetheless and if I'd found it in a skip I'd do it up too. Read William Fotheringhams Fausto Coppi biography and get all inspired, then go off hunting people on carbon frames with 11-speed groupsets...

Re: Nice

Jamiedyer":16bbk9d4 said:
Nice find!
A bead blast and repaint will have it looking a million dollars as long as its sound.

:shock: I'd avoid a repaint at all costs :shock:

I've had several restoration projects that started out looking like this, you'd be amazed how well they can clean up.

Its a lot easier if you strip everything off so you just have the frame and forks. Start with 0000 grade wire wool dipped in oil. This will remove oxidisation, tar spots and the brown paint discoloration around the rust spots. Then T.Cut then followed by wax.

Its only original once, if you respray you remove about 90% of future potential buyers.

Some inspiration if you need it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bakGDj5XXE8

That restoration is impressive. I'm keen to get this cycling before I worry too much about aesthetics. Once I know it all works then I will invest some more time in sorting out the paint and shiney bits.

Thanks for the info re BB it does have a locknut on the non drive side.few jobs today.

Hi folks, spent a couple of hours on the bike this morning doing the headset. Happily everything was in good order so it was just a question of cleaning and greasing.

It took a little bit of persuasion for the stem to come loose, I just put the forks in an engineers vice (with wood) and twisted it free in the end, so no problem really.

I don't know how well you can see this really but I was pleased to see it was clean inside. Could also have a bit of a look and feel at that top tube and I reckon all that rust is just surface.

Another awful picture, but hopefully you can tell that it's all rust free up there

I think I'm going to leave the BB for today and maybe have a go at cleaning up the rims and have a look at the derailleurs, never done a BB (or any of this for that matter) and I'm just not feeling that adventurous to do the headset and BB in the same day :LOL:

Latest posts

Back