Just picked this up Raleigh Routier. Any info please

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi

Just picked this up from my husbands work colleague for nothing and would appreciate some info on it such as date/age and anything else you might know about it and what you think

Raleigh.jpg

raleigh2.jpg

raleigh3.jpg

raleigh4.jpg

raleigh5.jpg

raleigh6.jpg

raleigh7.jpg

Thanks

Alison

Fairly low range "light tourer" from mid-late 80s. The frame and wheels will be quite heavy, but I've had similar frames from Dawes in the past, and they make a reasonable bike if you put some nicer bits on (particularly wheels). I rode one similar to this round the Alps one Summer (with Ambrosio/ C Record tubular wheels) and it was really quite nice...
I wouldn't spend too much on it though.
Nick

should clean up nicely , check hubs and the back of the brake castings both will have dates on but i would also suggest mid 80's .

would make an ideal solid commuting bike with a bit of work .

nice find

Nice, I quite like the raleighs with the white head tubes, a nice colour scheme.

It's not a 'lightweight' tube set such as 531, but not a nail either. My other halfs Wisp from roughly the same period has the same tubes I think and makes a nice bike.

I reckon from the downtube sticker it's mid to late eighties, but as already said check the other areas for dates, also the serial number on the bottom should give an idea of year and where made, I'm assuming it would be Nottingham.

What size are the wheels/tyres, either 27inch or 700c? That should help date it also.

Cleaned and serviced would look quite classy.

I have one of these for the commute to work. I hadn't cycled for years and was looking for a cheap reliable and ideally slightly quirky/retro road bike. I didn't want a mtb and all the hybrids I could find in my price range didn't seem up to much. So I went retro... It is late 80s, mine has 700c wheels, all parts original as far as I can tell. It's not the lightest but it does the job. The friction gears are low maintenance and the sturdy guards and rack are good for commuting. Looks pretty smart too! From what I can gather, they were budget road bikes aimed at the commuter/light touring market. The decal on mine says 'Town and Around'. Not amazing at hills, but easy to maintain and does the job, and not too attractive to a potential thief either!

Re:

Resurrecting old thread alert!
My postie just found one of these in a skip.. I have given it a lookover, it is fine, but needs a new BB, the orig was cross-threaded. I am inclined to advise him to throw in a cartridge, but the spindle/axle length is 124mm (!!!!) Were they originally triples on the front? This one has a horrible (double) crankset, which appears to be made of cheese.

Re:

I had a router for a few years, rescued it from a recycling centre. Was a bit rough lookING when picked it up. Bit of autosol and t cut and had it back looking like new. Done many a happy mile on it until it met a sticky end. Was heading to work at 6am, down a steep hill, when I noticed the light wobbling. I thought to my self it must be sliding off the bracket I must stop and push it back on. Well a heartbeat after that thought I was on the deck bike beside me. It was the bracket on the fork that was loose not just the light. So the bracket went round once then on the second time round it hooked a spoke. I must of been sat one the bike still in positing as I went hurtling towards the floor. Happened seemingly without warning! As you can see from the picture it was enough of a force to bend the forks and also crack the paint on the frame. Good bike in my opinion nothing to flash but a sturdy steed

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1500323862521.jpg
    FB_IMG_1500323862521.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 2,797
Re:

Rode one of these to work for several years - had a rear rack & would have to load it up with the lab printer to work at weekends sometimes! The colour scheme is similar to one of the top-end Raleighs,
I was very pleased to give it some nicer outings, including Wakefield to Glossop via Holme Moss & then home again.

Back