Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:17 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:36 am 
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin

Hi

Just picked this up from my husbands work colleague for nothing and would appreciate some info on it such as date/age and anything else you might know about it and what you think

Thanks

Alison

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:23 pm 
Retro Guru

Fairly low range "light tourer" from mid-late 80s. The frame and wheels will be quite heavy, but I've had similar frames from Dawes in the past, and they make a reasonable bike if you put some nicer bits on (particularly wheels). I rode one similar to this round the Alps one Summer (with Ambrosio/ C Record tubular wheels) and it was really quite nice...
I wouldn't spend too much on it though.
Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:50 pm 
Retro Guru

should clean up nicely , check hubs and the back of the brake castings both will have dates on but i would also suggest mid 80's .

would make an ideal solid commuting bike with a bit of work .

nice find

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:43 pm 
Retro Guru

Nice, I quite like the raleighs with the white head tubes, a nice colour scheme.

It's not a 'lightweight' tube set such as 531, but not a nail either. My other halfs Wisp from roughly the same period has the same tubes I think and makes a nice bike.

I reckon from the downtube sticker it's mid to late eighties, but as already said check the other areas for dates, also the serial number on the bottom should give an idea of year and where made, I'm assuming it would be Nottingham.

What size are the wheels/tyres, either 27inch or 700c? That should help date it also.

Cleaned and serviced would look quite classy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:51 pm 
Retro Guru

Yes, late 80's. There were 3 models. Routier, Romana and Panache. Some were assembled in Lightweight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:04 pm 

I have one of these for the commute to work. I hadn't cycled for years and was looking for a cheap reliable and ideally slightly quirky/retro road bike. I didn't want a mtb and all the hybrids I could find in my price range didn't seem up to much. So I went retro... It is late 80s, mine has 700c wheels, all parts original as far as I can tell. It's not the lightest but it does the job. The friction gears are low maintenance and the sturdy guards and rack are good for commuting. Looks pretty smart too! From what I can gather, they were budget road bikes aimed at the commuter/light touring market. The decal on mine says 'Town and Around'. Not amazing at hills, but easy to maintain and does the job, and not too attractive to a potential thief either!