Tom Crowther

Robbied196

Senior Retro Guru
Hello to all of you with my first post :)

I've not long bought a nice example Tom Crowther, bought by the original owner in 1981 from Tom Crowther's shop in Solihull. I've read lots of historical info about Mercian but there seems very little about Tom after he sold Mercian. I find it surprising that such a well regarded craftsman and founder of such an iconic company seems to have slipped under the radar after his departure. Does anyone here own one of his cycles or have any Crowther tales to tell?

I know his shop is now a fish and chip shop, the little info on the internet seems to suggest he would have ceased trading in the 90's. Also I've heard that not only Mercian were making his frames, but that he also had a couple of select quality frame makers building for him in Birmingham. This would suggest the cycle I own would have been built by one of those builders. I have a Columbus tubed frame and as far as I'm aware Mercian have only ever used Reynolds tubing, although I'm no expert and could be wrong on this.

Any info would be appreciated, and I'll leave you with some pics.

Very nice, I like that! I must admit that I'm surprised to see such a late model frame with his name on - but what do I know :roll:

Regarding origins, around its 'era', quite a lot of frames were sourced from abroad (Patrick Schils, Jan Kole for example). As it is Columbus this may be a pointer. Also the fluted tops to the seatstays is a slightly more 'European' touch. I once had a Mel Bentley frame that ( if I remember correctly) had similar engraving on the BB shell and that was a Jan Kole supplied one.

JK is an excellent builder and has a factory in China now supplying custom build frames.

http://www.colossicycling.com/

Old Ned":2qvwd4bh said:
Very nice, I like that! I must admit that I'm surprised to see such a late model frame with his name on - but what do I know :roll:

Regarding origins, around its 'era', quite a lot of frames were sourced from abroad (Patrick Schils, Jan Kole for example). As it is Columbus this may be a pointer. Also the fluted tops to the seatstays is a slightly more 'European' touch. I once had a Mel Bentley frame that ( if I remember correctly) had similar engraving on the BB shell and that was a Jan Kole supplied one.

JK is an excellent builder and has a factory in China now supplying custom build frames.

http://www.colossicycling.com/

Thanks Old Ned. This is what I find strange, Tom Crowther must have been selling from his shop in Solihull for a good number of years, and yet there is so little mention of him or examples of his bikes. Its interesting you mention him buying from abroad, one person mentioned this bike has a very Gios look about it.

That is a beautiful frame....colour, chrome, lugs and everything and in such wonderful condition too.

i know the feeling...you want to know more about the frame and its provenance and it can be very frustrating.

Frank Lipscombe had a shop in Walthamstow....last time i checked it was a launderette.....should be a blue plaque!.....probably a fish and chip shop now...or something similar.....sign of the times!

Just an update as I'm waiting on a potential result!

Someone suggested looking at CIOCC and after a lot of surfing I'm pretty much convinced that CIOCC could be the frame maker. It has the CIOCC signature 4 spades cut out in the downtube lug and bottom bracket shell.
http://www.raydobbins.com/ciocc/index.html

I've sent an email to the grand master himself Giovanni Pelizzoli so will update on any news.

A special order CIOCC for Tom Crowther must be a very rare beast!

Back