2012 Time Trial Season

daccordimark

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Here's a chance to tell us all about your Old School time trial performances this season. Which event, which bike, how much it hurt and how many "Modernistas" you beat on the day!

Mark.

My first event was the YCF 10 back on 26th Feb where Old Ned beat me on age related time by 1 second! A good turn out of Old Schoolers with a separate prize for us die-hards.

Having failed to get the better of Ned individually I went with the old "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" tactic and we both entered the Ravensthorpe CC 2-up 10 mile team time trial on 21st April. There was no dedicated Old School category in this event so we would probably be the only ones not riding modern "fast bikes". There were also Medium Gear and normal individual events going on so maybe someone else might be riding Old School.

Before the event we both decided to ride our MKM bikes so we really looked like a team. Old Ned was on his super-cool MKM Ultimate while I was on my more traditional machine. Being the consummate professionals we are the weeks leading up the race involved no practising of technique or even proper discussion of changeover, riding style or anything. We were just going to play it by ear.

The forecast leading up to the race was for hail and thunder so I called Old Ned on the morning of the race to check he was still up for it and he was!:shock: My escape plan had failed, there was nothing for it but to go ahead and race. After all it was only ten miles. I loaded the bike into the car and headed off to Ned's place. I hadn't accounted for Saturday traffic and was running very late so I called again to discuss options. My partner wasn't phased by my tardiness and so my second escape plan was foiled! "Don't worry, the adrenaline rush from being late will make us go faster" was the sage advice from the master.

A quick transfer of my bike and kit into the Ned-mobile saw us on the road in double-quick time - straight into yet more traffic. Aaaagh! Were we doomed, never to get to Brotherton in time for our 3:20 start time?

Well, yes we did get there in time for a quick warm up and final fettling of bikes. I'm beginning to think Old Ned has an obsession with fiddling with his handlebars (see the Pendle Witches write up) either before or during events. Soon we were called to the line and as Ned was number 79 to my 80 he had the dubious pleasure of starting in front - straight into the head wind.:twisted:

With the huge volume of practice we hadn't done, changeovers were as and when one of us felt like we'd had enough on the front or could take it on. It's amazing how you can sit on someone's back wheel thinking they're pootling along and then move out to take front position and find the wind blows you backwards! The Brotherton course is basically uphill to the turn and then downhill all the way back (apart from a couple of small dips). Coupled with the tail wind it meant we were flying over the last couple of miles. I was on the front with Old Ned tucked in close behind practically pushing me along with every exhalation. As we got close to the finish there was a shout of "big finish" from behind and I caught sight of a front wheel sneaking up on my outside. That close to the finish it's a case of every man for himself so we practically sprinted it out to try and get a precious few seconds off our time.

In the end we stopped the clock at 28:25 making us the slowest team, exactly one minute slower than the next slowest team. I didn't see them but I bet they were on modern bikes.... It would have been nice to have scalped at least one non-retro team but it was not to be.

2/3/4-ups are always good fun and I reckon with a bit more practice we could nail a good time and beat some Modernistas.

Here's to next time,
Mark.

PS: If I'm really unlucky there will be some 'photos of us in action. I expect I looked really fetching in the pink jersey Old Ned lent me for the race. He said something about having to wear matching ones but I'm not sure about that....

Nice report Mark. Old ned must have a bit of a Eddie Merckx, thing going on with the handlebar ajustment's, he'll want a team car driving beside him soon, lol.
No well done, to you and Paul for keeping the retro flag flying.

Mike....

Cheers Mark - that more or less sums it up!

I had changed the bars during the week before but hadn't actually ridden the bike until the day so needed a few slight adjustments to feel comfortable. At least I didn't do the adjustments as we were riding like Big Eddy would have done!

Could have done with a slightly smaller gear going out. 52x17 felt a bit big :shock: That was probably your biggest gear the way you were pedalling!

PS - you forgot to mention the occasional loud cracks and bangs from my bike - it was when my heel banged on the rear mech because the chainstays are so short :!:

daccordimark":14oyofnr said:
Ned was number 79 to my 80 ...
thought you were seeded "10 mark" riders till I read the result. good effort tho.
Love the L shaped cranks Ned

Old Ned":1dam3g2e said:
PS - you forgot to mention the occasional loud cracks and bangs from my bike - it was when my heel banged on the rear mech because the chainstays are so short :!:

Shhhhh! I thought we were keeping that top secret technical innovation to ourselves in case the UCI found out. Oh well the cat's out of the bag now I guess, so here's the missing (originally censored) section from the write-up....

There was a particularly loud bang and clunk from Old Ned's bike as we flew down the road away from the turn which had me worried in case something major was about to fall off his machine. Bear in mind my front wheel was only 10mm from his back wheel at this time so it could have been pretty nasty. It turned out to be a new hands free gear changing technology. The idea is to use the heel of your right foot to gently nudge the rear mech on the upstroke thereby changing gear without the need to take your hands off the 'bars to reach the down tube shifters. Obviously it needs some refinement, not least to stop scaring the living daylights out of the following rider!

Mark.

Back