Rust on the frame - Raleigh Record Ace

Siguros

Dirt Disciple
Hi guys,

Does this rust look bad to you? I've found a raleigh record ace in nice condition, just has minor surface rust on the crossbar.

Screen%20Shot%202012-04-18%20at%2021.32.22.png

Screen%20Shot%202012-04-18%20at%2021.32.19.png

Screen%20Shot%202012-04-18%20at%2021.32.30.png

Has 531 tubes and forks, this is the sticker on the forks has TI on it?

Screen%20Shot%202012-04-18%20at%2021.32.27.png

Comes with the original bag, repair kit etc. Really nice, what do you think? Going to pay £110 and £40 train for it I think.

The TI just represents the owners of Reynolds at that time (helps with dating) .

The rust looks surface only, £140 does not seem to bad. See what that will buy you in Halfords.

I picked mine up at the weekend on the car boot, a year or two older than yours, and a little more pitting than that too. I've had a quick look at it with the T-cut and it's getting most of it off with elbow grease. I'm just glad my £15 wasn't wasted :LOL:

You won't get bugger all apart from a childs bmx in Halfords lol!

£15, damn that's nice man. I wish there were some quality car boots round by me.

Hi, if it's any use here's a couple of threads of mine for the same model

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 8b80735737

There are some usefull tips in there for cleaning up, I found the chrome work easier to clean than the paintwork, I did manage to do some damage to surrounding paintwork getting the worst of the rust off, but couldn't be helped being a bit of a newbie to it. Might be worth you getting a pic of the bottom bracket area and chain stay bridge, See what the rust is like there.

Looks original, same mudguards, saddle and tape as mine.

Must get an updated pic, now it has cables and chain added.

retro-rich":2g0ybaj8 said:
Hi, if it's any use here's a couple of threads of mine for the same model

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 8b80735737

There are some usefull tips in there for cleaning up, I found the chrome work easier to clean than the paintwork, I did manage to do some damage to surrounding paintwork getting the worst of the rust off, but couldn't be helped being a bit of a newbie to it. Might be worth you getting a pic of the bottom bracket area and chain stay bridge, See what the rust is like there.

Looks original, same mudguards, saddle and tape as mine.

Must get an updated pic, now it has cables and chain added.

Cheers Rich, just checked out your threads! You have the bike looking awesome, good job on restoring it.

Some good tips about cleaning up, just a question where did you get the bike holder? I could use one of them for cleaning the bike if it's nice and stable.

Also where did you get the gum tyres? Are the ones on the ace 700c or 27"? The seller didn't say.

Cheers Rich :)

Thanks

The stand came from Decathlon, can't remember the cost but I think around the hundred quid mark, they had a cheaper model but the display model actually had a broken joint where some metal had sheared off. I've had this one getting on for 12 months now and it's been fine, quite sturdy just don't let it tip back as it relies on the bike pulling it forward :)

The tyres are from sjs in Bristol, I did struggle to find the right ones as I think these were 700x25, I'd have to check. The wheels are definitely 700 though on mine, the bike is dated 1986, the earlier record aces are 27 inch as I think early to mid eighties was when they swapped over.

Something to note, the hoods on the brakes had perished on mine and difficult to replace, although I guess that would be true of many hoods of that era. I ended up putting some slightly different levers on. And the pedals are still seized to the cranks although they still spin fine they just won't come off. Just the condition of my particular bike though.

I got mine for around the 80 mark, but to be fair I think he made a few mistakes in the listing so didn't get quite as much as it should. The frame is 531 main tubes and forks, very lightweight.

Hope this helps

Ah okay cheers! I'll look into getting one :) Will be way better than having the bike upside down like I usually do.

How much were the tyres from there? I don't live too far from Bristol so I could pop over and get some if they aren't online. I'll have to check if they're 27 or 700c when they come, I doubt they'll be 27 but if they are I could always see how I like them, and if I'd prefer 700 swap or sell the rims for some 700's and see they'll fit.

Yeah, I'm hoping the hoods will be in good condition otherwise I'll do the same and swap the levers.

£80 nice, I'm hoping to get this one at about £100-120 and a friend is going to pick it up on Sunday as he's around that area this weekend :)

It does help Rich, thanks a lot!

passatman":4d6gld6l said:
I picked mine up at the weekend on the car boot, a year or two older than yours, and a little more pitting than that too. I've had a quick look at it with the T-cut and it's getting most of it off with elbow grease. I'm just glad my £15 wasn't wasted :LOL:

A bargain, would love to see pics

Back