DA AX hub problem

milko

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I have a set of Dura Ace AX hubs which have the "silent clutch" engagement, the past couple of days I have had a couple of hairy moments when it does not engage so the pedal will freely spin. After a bit of a back pedal it engages and if i keep a constant pressure on the pedal when I stop it also remains engaged. I cant find any detailed info (even from Sheldon) and was wondering if anyone had any experience of servicing these hubs?
Cheers!

milko":1qmyg4zk said:
I have a set of Dura Ace AX hubs which have the "silent clutch" engagement, the past couple of days I have had a couple of hairy moments when it does not engage so the pedal will freely spin. After a bit of a back pedal it engages and if i keep a constant pressure on the pedal when I stop it also remains engaged. I cant find any detailed info (even from Sheldon) and was wondering if anyone had any experience of servicing these hubs?
Cheers!

Sounds like the pawls are sticking. At very least, I would wash the hub out with solvent. Ideally I would take the whole thing apart, but know that to not be for the faint hearted.

oh and any recomendations on the best cheap, readily available solvent and grease to re pack the whole thing?

i would flush it all out with gunk and then give the guts a light coating of grease. mind and keep the grease to a minimum as you don't want to clog up the pawls or else you will be have the turbo trainer effect forever!

good luck

:)

i currently use the park polylube 1000. it sticks well, doesn't wash off to easily and can be applied thinly in places such as freehub internals. just remember not to use more than a smear over the pawls as any more than that and they will stick down and won't engage when you pedal.

not a good look!

:LOL:

Tell me about it pushing off into oncoming traffic and finding that your legs are spinning and you aint going anywhere tends to make you think "probably better look into what is going on here"! :shock:

milko":1ky26umr said:
Tell me about it pushing off into oncoming traffic and finding that your legs are spinning and you aint going anywhere tends to make you think "probably better look into what is going on here"! :shock:

:shock: ha haaa!! i remember those days well! i remember the phrase "silent clutch" but can't honestly remember ever experiencing one of those things. dura ace ax was always like hens' teeth - you very rarely saw it never mind work on it.

best of luck with the micro surgery!!

craig

Back