re-tapping a french BB shell with english thread?

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I'm still searching for campagnolo french threaded BB parts. I think I've found a suitable spindle (although not perfect as it's 113mm asymmetrical, it should work, leaving me with a slightly incorrect chainline), but cups are proving harder to come by.
At one of my LBSs yesterday, they suggested re-tapping the BB shell to english thread. What they said is the same as sheldon with regards to the left side - the english cup will fit, but be slightly loose. Liberal amounts of teflon tape should fix that, say the LBS. They have the tap to do the right side of the shell, and said there shouldn't be any problem as the thread needs to be tapped in the opposite direction to the existing thread. The guys at this LBS (father and son, the father was a spanish pro back in the early 80s) are very very good mechanics, and I would trust them to do this to my frame. I would however, value any experiences, opinions, or knowledge that any retrobikers can give me, before going ahead with it!

cheers, Andy

I know of a lot of people who've had French bottom bracket shells tapped out to BSC, and few who've had problems. However, it's never struck me as a nice solution, and I wouldn't consider it myself - at least not for a decent frame.

I think tapping the shell out to Italian would be preferable. Alternatively, have you checked ebay.fr for French-threaded bottom brackets? A bottom bracket set is a "jeu de pédalier" or "boitier de pédalier", cups are "cuvettes".

You could also consider a MAVIC cartridge unit. See the recent thread on this forum for instructions. MAVIC tapers are Campag compatible.

Thanks for the help! I'll be using a c-record chainset, so would like a campagnolo 111mm symmetrical BB if possible. I'll check ebay.fr later this afternoon.

Andy

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Mavic BB with 45 degree taper on the BB shell would solve your problem and leave the frame still usable with a french thread BB should you find one.

thanks guys! I've seen the velo orange BBs, but I wan't to use a c-rcord chainset so would like a campagnolo taper if possible. if i can't find one, then a VO is probably the next best option.

A mavic BB would be nice, but possibly even harder to find than a decent french threaded BB, and almost certainly more expensive. Plus I'd have the added hassle of having to face the frame.

I'm not discarded any options though, not until I have found something that definitely works!

cheers, Andy

Back