Raleigh Randonneur Restore - serial number advice please...

retro-rich

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi

After spending last year restoring a Raleigh RRA (and not wanting to modernize it as turned out to be all original) I've picked up another project.

I've wanted one for a while, after spending a summer riding a Dawes Galaxy and loving it, I've finally picked up a Raleigh Randonneur off ebay.

I've taken a bit of a punt, as the frame has been resprayed so difficult to be certain it was definitely a rando', but I emailed the guy and he seemed genuine and he sent me the pic's of chain stay which I requested showing the spare spokes attached. reason for the respray was that it's been ridden all over the world so has seen some mileage, most parts have been replaced at some point.

I've attached some pic's, comments welcome as to if the frame is definitely a rando 531, it certainly feels light enough.

Only thing I'm not sure about is the serial number, doesn't seem to match any of the info found on the web, it starts with an A??? photo attached. the seller thinks it was about '88 he bought it new.

Anyway, not overly keen on green paint job, might go with the original two tone for the respray but will be cheaper to pick a single colour.

I've already stripped it down just need to choose a resprayer now.

Attachments

• IMAG0252.jpg
    IMAG0252.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 1,897
  • IMAG0233.jpg
    IMAG0233.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,897
  • IMAG0244.jpg
    IMAG0244.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 1,897
  • IMAG0241.jpg
    IMAG0241.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 1,897
Bump - :)

Was wondering if anyone knowledgeable about Raleighs numbering system could comment on this one, really curious about it as I thought the lightweights had numbers starting with W denoting Worksop and later Nottingham. Any ideas?

Frame.

retro-rich":1ac7f4na said:
Bump - :)

Was wondering if anyone knowledgeable about Raleighs numbering system could comment on this one, really curious about it as I thought the lightweights had numbers starting with W denoting Worksop and later Nottingham. Any ideas?

I am pretty familiar with the systems used both in the LU and in the SBDU, this Randonneur is a conundrum - I thought they were made in the Lightweight Unit, but it appears not as they would have the W prefix to the frame number.

The Randonneur is a second half of the 80s bike.

Could it be a misbuild with the chainstay mounted spoke carriers but be a Granada or one of the more"cooking"frames - unless anyone knows better(I'll check in my brochure collection).

Looks worth a resto though.

Rk.

Hi Roadking

Thanks for the reply

I've had a look around the web, only other similar frame I can find is the Royal with canti brakes, so a possibilty.

What do you mean by 'cooking' frame? a duff?

If I can't be certain of its model, I'd feel a bit daft respraying and logo'd as a Rando, so if it can't be solved I may just spray a nice single colour with just the raleigh logo and enjoy it for what it is.

Whichever way I'm positive it's a 531 as comparing it to this guys restore all the bridges etc look the same

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jwright/5090333140/

Cheers

Rich

retro-rich":1a8xt0ca said:
Hi Roadking

Thanks for the reply.I've had a look around the web, only other similar frame I can find is the Royal with canti brakes, so a possibilty. What do you mean by 'cooking' frame? a duff? If I can't be certain of its model, I'd feel a bit daft respraying and logo'd as a Rando, so if it can't be solved I may just spray a nice single colour with just the raleigh logo and enjoy it for what it is. Whichever way I'm positive it's a 531 as comparing it to this guys restore all the bridges etc look the same

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jwright/5090333140/

CheersRich

Hi Rich.

I certainly didn't mean it was a"duff", I use the term"cooking"to mean a lesser frame than the Rando'.

It is clearly a pretty good one as it has the R logo on the seat stay caps.

Either way, repaint it as a Raleigh and enjoy it.

Let's see it when restored and built up - good luck.

Rk.

Thanks rk, just wasn't sure what the term meant :)

Is there a way of checking if it's 531 or 531st etc? I thought I read somewhere that tube types had specific seat pin sizes...

I'll definitely post some more pics when it's coming back together

Cheers

Rich

A general rule for seat pin sizes is 27.2mm for a 531 frame; although there can be anomolies.

Rk.

Hmmmm,

I've measured the seat post, 27.2mm

But the rear dropouts are narrower than I thought they should be, they measure only about 121mm, I guess should be 120, it's been sprung to take the 126 105 hub with 7 speed free hub.

Did the original rando have a 120 rear? The front is 100

The frame has two bottle cage mounts, front rack eyelets and bosses, so seems fairly up to date in that respect.

FYI - I had a 1991 Raleigh Randonneur and it too had a serial number beginning with A. Think it was A0 to be precise.

Back