My recent 'find out' which maker rebuild road bike. PAVONE.

Ian Raleigh

rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Hi Guys,

Found this bargin bike for only £100 and tried to find out who the maker was
of the frame, after much searching i found out its a PAVONE :!:

Has anyone on this forum got a PAVONE of their very own ? I'm trying to find
some replacement decals and so far i've come up with nothing.

This is my [was] thread started over on the CTC forum......

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=61392

I'll most likely carry on doing a double post on the CTC and RetroBike to keep you informed of its progress :cool:

Any pictures of a PAVONE would be most welcome

Cheers.
Ian.

Welcome to the forum, nice to see an unusual bike. Your best bet for decals is the forum member Gil_M. Failing that, the eBay seller GTS753 might have some Pavone decals.

Rich34":3rm30o4c said:
Welcome to the forum, nice to see an unusual bike. Your best bet for decals is the forum member Gil_M. Failing that, the eBay seller GTS753 might have some Pavone decals.

Thanks for the welcome.

GTS753 has no Pavone decals already asked.

May give Gil_M a try ;)

Over the past two days cleaned up the components ready to be banged back on.

Next on the cleaning list is the wheels...hate cleaning wheels !

decals

Google Nick at lloyds. He is at lloyds cycles in Cumbria and if he has non he would make you some up providing you knew what you wanted. He has a hugh data base of classic bike decals on line and supplies most of the pro paint shops. Not only that but he is a good chap to deal with
regards
Peter

Re: decals

half cog":1jz1qz5x said:
Google Nick at lloyds. He is at lloyds cycles in Cumbria and if he has non he would make you some up providing you knew what you wanted. He has a hugh data base of classic bike decals on line and supplies most of the pro paint shops. Not only that but he is a good chap to deal with
regards
Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for looking at my thread.

Already been in contact with Nick and knows of the chap who made Pavones but has no details for the name pavone
but Nick knew the same chap at Otley also made 'Delta-sportive' bikes and has those decals.

I'm struggling to actually find any such pictures of a Pavone.

Ian.

Yes a Pavone! I've been meaning to pm you Ian, nice to see you on this forum that I haunt more frequently than CTC.

Can't wait to see this put back together. Is that a DA seatpost you managed to source too?

Tel":2ek1ttyt said:
Yes a Pavone! I've been meaning to pm you Ian, nice to see you on this forum that I haunt more frequently than CTC.
Can't wait to see this put back together. Is that a DA seatpost you managed to source too?

Yeh the seat post is the DA version as is the 7402 brakes and headset all as a freebie from a close friend :D

Can't wait to get the frame back as you well know i don't take months to rebuild my bikes ;)

The colour of the frame is to be similar to the below picture but not bang on if you know what i mean :cool:

2010saleens281full_lead2.jpg

Ian.

Right, are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin.

In the early 80's, an ex Harry Hall employee by the name of Peacock bought a cycle shop business in Halifax. At the time, the local club Halifax Imperial Whs, was also starting an 'elite'ish' racing offshoot called Halifax RC which the Peacocks became involved with. Peacocks wanted to have their own range of branded frames and wanted an 'exotic' name for them so a friend of mine suggested that they check an Italian dictionary to see what the Italian for 'Peacock' is. The result was 'Pavone'. Their own brand Pavone frames were built by Terry Dolan as one of his first 'contracts' so if it is one of these that you have then it is definitely a 'good'un'. However, at the same time, the Peacocks also offered to respray Halifax RC members' own frames in Pavone finish so there could be all manner of local frames (Pennine, Ellis-Briggs etc.) masquerading as 'Pavones'. The head badge was a peacock with outspread wings.

The Peacock family still own the shop in New Rd Halifax (2 brothers Steve and Bob) but there is now a twist to the tale. The third brother Rick now owns Chevin Cycles in Otley and he has also used the Pavone brand name for his frames but I couldn't say who built them.

It may be possible to get more info from either of the shops (and also possibly decals?) especially if you can find a frame number as this can be a great help in determining a frame's provenance.

Hope this helps! ;)

Old Ned":2x3hnfk0 said:
Right, are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin.

Thanks for that little bit of info ;)

There are numbers 4960 on the steerer and the same 4960 stamped on the bottom bracket.

I've contacted Chevin Cycles in Otley by phone/email/facebook and it seems they don't give a rats ass about my enquiry. Shame on them !

Just to see any close up pictures of a pavone would be most welcome especially the frame decals and the pheasant head badge.

I also found out via' Nick Tithecott at Lloyds that the same chap also made 'Delta-sportive' road bikes.

These 'Delta-sportive' bikes had ultra short wheel bases and has twin tubes so the wheel has clearence.
the bottom bracket excentric for chain tentioning purposes because of the vertical rear dropouts.

I've got other pictures of this Delta-sportive and the lug-work/rear seat stays/drop-out are the same as my Pavone so i'm pretty sure its a Pavone.

KGrHqQOKjYE5teJtZlvBOpCzoMRQ60_12.jpg

Back