122mm rear spacing options *sorted!*

shawnb

Senior Retro Guru
My new Raleigh team panasonic frame appears to be a 1985 build and has a 122mm rear spacing. Having trawled ebay I've found this isn't the most common size out there. I have found a couple of super record hubs in that size but mostly 126mm.
Is 122mm 10-12 speed?
Should I just squeeze a 126mm hub in there instead? I've heard it done on here before and I seem to be able to pull the rear stays apart easily enough.....
I've seen a few 7400 dura ace groupsets around but they are 8sp and they aren't going to fit in there!

I think I am going to have go with super record anyway if I want a complete groupset and have that rear spacing.....

It might even be 120mm having measures again, 121 is spot on. The frame number is WM 5001113. Actually, does that make it an '83??? Can't off the top of my head remember if I'm using the 5 or 3 to date it !

http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

That spacing is for the old traditional 5 speed hub back in the 70's........my Falcon from 1974--5 has an OLD of 120 which could take a 5 speed or a 6 speed ultra from suntour.

That's my take on it. I would have expected your spacing to be at least 126mm to 130mm

Shaun

Thanks Shaun, it appears I was being a bit premature and wimpy ! I just easily fitted a 126mm wheel set into the frame. The frame is nos with no signs of ever having being fitted up, guess it just needed those rear stays pulled open a bit ! Also it must be an '85 as in '83 the team colours were still the orange/red. Had a blonde moment !
Cheers, Shawn.

It wasn't that unusual to find rear triangles spaced between 120mm and 126mm in the 6-speed era. The Internet doesn't seem to have noticed that not everyone adopted Campagnolo's standards. I had a few mid-eighties Raleighs that came with Maillard 6-speed hubs and 122mm spacing.

Piperdave":36higcfb said:
Any pics of this bike? Pretty please....

I'll take some later and start a build thread ;)

I was alerted on ebay of a new listing for team raleigh late last night. This was what popped up

http://vi.ebaydesc.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d ... 3&caz.html

I couldn't believe it was £312 buy it now plus £35 shipping !! so I bought it.
It too looks mint, a quick go on babelfish deciphering the German sounded real good. Pics to follow when it arrives.

In the meantime, my collection !

photo7.jpg

Back