Going to rebuild the mystery frame, some Qs

oldgit

Retro Guru
I've not been able to identify the frame I posted about earlier, but I've come to the conclusion that it's pretty nice and worthy of a respray and build up......but.

There are a couple of rust spots, I'm okay with them but would that be an issue when being painted?
The rear is spaced at 126, is just running 130s in there without cold setting okay?
Also it has a campagnolo Super record chainset, the 70/80s version. I want to keep them, but I want to run modern'ish shifters or bar end shifters. So I was thinking shimano 8 or 9 speed kit.
Finally it runs cantis, for road just use the Shimano offerings?

Rust spots no problem. When you repaint it you'll just rub them down and either treat with a bit of rustkiller or high-build primer, like you would with car bodywork.

I've not had any problem with a 130 squeezed into a 126 space. In fact, I have a 126 wheel shoved into a 110 frame and it's just about happy. You're not supposed to do this with alloy or carbon frames but old steel frames with long dropouts are very accommodating :D

Can't help with the chainset Q.

For canti's, I've used the £14.99 Tektro offerings and they were amazingly efficient and quite light, with finger levers that only needed a tiny amount of pressure. I was very impressed for the money.

I have a load of NOS Shimano Acera cantis (but no straddle cables which isn't really a problem). You can have a pair for the cost of postage. PM me.

Latest posts

Back