Renovating a fully chromed frame ?

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Well after deciding I wasn't going to start any more projects, obviously I am :LOL:

I have a frame (actually a friend's frame on more or less permanent loan) which is in need of restoration. I'm having some doubts about this one though, as the frame is fully chromed, with coloured lacquer over the chrome. From what I can tell, the chrome is in good condition (a few tiny rust spots, etc, but no need for replating). The lacquer is peeling heavily and easily along the main tubes.

My idea is to remove the lacquer and have the frame painted, leaving the HT lugs and rear triangle as bare chrome (as they are now).

If I encounter any stubborn bits of lacquer that won't flake off easily, what's the best way to remove them without damaging the chrome underneath?

And does painting on chrome require any different sort of prep work than painting on bare steel?

I won't be painting the frame myself, and think I have found a place that can do it, but I'm trying to gather as much info as I can before I commit 100%.

Thanks, Andy

Sounds like the old acrylichrome paint effect Carlton used to put on some of their bikes in the 60s such as the Constellation and Catalina.

Some gentle polishing with Autosolve will bring up the chrome it will also remove old lacquer. Stubborn stuff can be removed with some Nitromors.

Hope you are going keep the chrome!

I'll definitely be keeping all the chrome! I think it's in good enough condition to just leave the whole frame as bare chrome without painting, but that's too much bling for me!

Here are a few pics, taken a few years ago so the lacquer is much much worse now. If i can find someone to replicate the diamond/fishnet pattern then I'll go with that, otherwise I think just the same metallic green as it already has, except for the lugs, triangle and fork.

Andy

Attachments

• DSCN1642 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1642 (Medium).JPG
    67 KB · Views: 471
  • DSCN1643 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1643 (Medium).JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 471
  • DSCN1658 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1658 (Medium).JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 471
  • DSCN1638 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1638 (Medium).JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 471
that's a lovely looking old frame!!
we used to do the flying scot frames fully chromed with either a dark red or dark blue laquer - columbus SL if i remember rightly.
god, THOSE were the days!!
:)

This one isn't even SL, it's just cro-mo I think, maybe Aelle. It's pretty heavy, what with the low-level tubes and all that chrome, but it rides very nicely. Hopefully I'll be taking it to a couple of painters this week to get there opinion. One of them appears to be pretty handy, so I've not given up all hope of getting the snake skin effect re-done!

Nice bike!

I have an all-chromed frame. I repaired the original paint and sprayed it with clear enamel. The chrome does not like to hold onto the paint.

Apparently, some chrome on frames that get colored is not finished in high sheen — not like the polished parts that show. Perhaps that's done in the copper or nickel plating that precedes the chrome finishing. The less polished surface gives the paint, or rather the undercoat more "tongue" to stick to. I suspect that my frame chrome is high polished throughout. Like you, I thought all-chrome would be too much bling ... but I sure have admired some that were. Nickel is a softer tone.

To strip enamel without scratching metal you can try this — I have done it on painted anodize: Use paint stripper. Use the directions, and put on several coats. Get some classic shaped plastic/PET Coke bottles. Take a box cutter and cut two or three using the shape of the bottle to advantage. Cut one for tubing, and another shape for lugs and corners. These improvised tools will lift the paint without scratiching the metal underneath. The plastic is softer than the metals.

Using fishnet tights as a mask should work for the snakeskin effect. Tricky to get it squared up but there can't be much easier!

Back