american raleighs any differant

biggs682

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
have spotted a few american made Raleighs recentley , so my question is are they any better or worse .

strange tubing names like 6061-t8 thermal bonded tubing ?

model in question is technium from early 80's

biggs682":14e7cnll said:
have spotted a few american made Raleighs recentley , so my question is are they any better or worse .

strange tubing names like 6061-t8 thermal bonded tubing ?

model in question is technium from early 80's

The "Technium" series are/were bonded frames using a similar principle to Nottingham's Dyna-Tech ones (hence the maker's "thermal bonded" reference presumably). FWIW, 6061 tubing is a grade of magnesium-silicon aluminium alloy similar to the Aluxx stuff used in present-day Giants.

David

American Technium frames used lugs with internal spigots that went inside the tubes.

Nottingham Dyna-Tech frames used bulge formed lugs that the tubes went into.

Both produced at the same time, developed seperatly.

6061 is a precipitation hardening aluminium alloy, containing magnesium and silicon as its major alloying elements, which was developed in 1935 originally for use in aircraft structures.

T6 temper 6061 has an ultimate tensile strength of at least 42,000 psi (300 MPa) and yield strength of at least 35,000 psi (241 MPa).

Best regards

rusty bodie":2lhqvlx0 said:
NB: if it doesn't have an SB---- frame number then forget it!!

:cool:

I admire the sentiment, but if your buying a frame with an SB frame number, you are buying a frame that was made to measure for someone else.

Just saying..... ;)

Back