KMC Z610 HX MissingLink question

sawston_vulcan

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi, i just bought a KMC Z610 HX chain and it arrived with a non-reusable MissingLInk. I bought the chain from CRC, so far all well and good.

On KMCs website there is a specific ML for the Z610 but so far i can't find anyone in the UK who sells it.....including CRC!

Assuming there are quite a few people on this forum who use this chain. What do you do? When you break the chain for cleaning etc, what ML or connector do you use? Is there an alternative connector that could be used that is re-usuable? Or do you dispose with the ML completely and use a traditional chain breaking tool?

Been re-using KMC, SRAM and Connex chain links for years - never had one go wrong. I think the re-use thing is purely to protect the manufacturer from a product liability perspective.

There is a non reuseable chain link joining thingy called a sigma link, they sell them in Halfords & on Ebay.
(Not sure if this is the same post that appeared on LFGSS, Marxist_fixie?)

monty dog":1gigv13l said:
Been re-using KMC, SRAM and Connex chain links for years - never had one go wrong. I think the re-use thing is purely to protect the manufacturer from a product liability perspective.

Same here, never had any problems.

sawston_vulcan":26qlfjw6 said:
Hi, i just bought a KMC Z610 HX chain and it arrived with a non-reusable MissingLInk. I bought the chain from CRC, so far all well and good.

On KMCs website there is a specific ML for the Z610 but so far i can't find anyone in the UK who sells it.....including CRC!

Assuming there are quite a few people on this forum who use this chain. What do you do? When you break the chain for cleaning etc, what ML or connector do you use? Is there an alternative connector that could be used that is re-usuable? Or do you dispose with the ML completely and use a traditional chain breaking tool?

Just started using one of these for a fixed 3/32 set up. Junked the link and used a chain splitter...only to find that the chain only just, and i mean only just fits into the park tools mini chain breaker. Lots of praying and swearing finished the job :LOL: Do like KMC chains though, very good value!

Been suggested to me to use a three piece KMC 1/8'' Uni-connector....cost £1 and is re-useable....same pin length at 7.8mm.

What about using a KMC half-link.....that can be broken by a splitter as it does not have mushroom pins?

sawston_vulcan":3e2tauem said:
Been suggested to me to use a three piece KMC 1/8'' Uni-connector....cost £1 and is re-useable....same pin length at 7.8mm.

What about using a KMC half-link.....that can be broken by a splitter as it does not have mushroom pins?

Think i still have my 'missing link'. If you want it drop me a pm.

Back