Period correct build - help needed

endlessmike

Dirt Disciple
Hi everyone,

I bought an old falcon olympic frame not long ago and aim to do it up so it's period correct. I dont know the exact year of the bike, buit its definitely 70's.

I've found this extract from a falcon catalogue and I'm using it as a guide.

main.php

I already have the right decals, fork and brakes and handlebars. And when I get paid I'm sending the frame off to get a rich Ruby Red Flamboyant lick of paint.

I just need to get the wheels, stem, headset and crank/gear set.

It mentions high flange hubs for the 27 x 1 1/4 wheels, but no manufacturer and this is where i need to knowledge of the retrobike users. I wasn't sure whether it would be weinmann or mavic rims? I asume it will be Campag hubs to go with the Campag gears? but would they be record or super record? And are Clement brown wall tyres still available?

As for the stem, would it be GB for a mid 70's bike? And again for the headset, would it be campag to fit in with the gears and hubs?

I know these are fairly newb questions. But if you don't ask you don't get...

Thanks,

Mike

Was this catalogue written for the US market? (brown wall and high flange)
Fairly low end bike, vague description allowing for variations.
Was this after Falcon no longer imported Shimano into UK?
27 x 1 1/4 was the UK standard size. rims probably what they could get. Weinmann might have been too dear.

my mate had something very similar, if not the same.
It has huret gears, weineman 730 sidepull brakes with suicide levers, shiney stainless/chrome ?? full mudguards, normandy large flange nut-fix hubs on steel rims, 5 speed screw on block. Bout all I can remember I'm afraid ... oh, his was a black frame.

pigman":pxphtu9y said:
huret gears, weineman 730 sidepull brakes with suicide levers, shiney stainless/chrome ?? full mudguards, normandy large flange nut-fix hubs on steel rims, 5 speed screw on block.
There was a blue Oylmpic advertised on one of the bikes sites a while ago, had similar spec to this ^

Falcon.

I agree with keithglos, it is a fairly low end bike (it'll be 531 maintubes only not the full set) so don't get too carried away.

It would probably have had Maillard hubs (high flange), I have several pairs if you're interested, or a pair of NoS SR low flange hubs.

GB stems were made into the 1980s - you just need a 70s one.

Roadking.

Not sure I remember that one ........I worked in a bike shop in Hull in the 1970's that sold a lot of Falcons, they were just over the river Humber and their rep was a local / national rider (Billy Holmes).

I'm surprised it had any campag bits as they were usually reserved for the San Remo range.

Shaun

If that is a Campag rear mech in the advert it is probably a Valentino which had the 'sideways' action similar to Huret, around in the late 60's/early 70's in various versions (see in Velobase). The bike isn't good enough to have Record etc. components.

Re: Falcon.

Thanks for all the advice!

This is going to be my first full build, so I appreciate the help. In a strange way I'm fairly glad it isn't a high end spec bike, I've seen how much Campag stuff goes for on ebay! :shock:

roadking":2zawxm45 said:
I agree with keithglos, it is a fairly low end bike (it'll be 531 maintubes only not the full set) so don't get too carried away.

It would probably have had Maillard hubs (high flange), I have several pairs if you're interested, or a pair of NoS SR low flange hubs.

GB stems were made into the 1980s - you just need a 70s one.

Roadking.

Thanks Roadking, I'm quite interested, I've sent you a PM.

Mike

Back