Anyone know how to pronounce Mavic?

onegoodbike

Merlin Fan
Feedback
View
As per the title really. For the last 25 years or so myself and everyone i know who's into bikes (just a few mates really :D ) has pronounced mavic with a hard 'c' like in victory, but i was chatting to a young guy at work the other day who's into downhill and dirt jumps and he was talking about his wheels, and he said mavic with the 'c' pronounced like the 'ch' in church.
That got me to wondering how it is pronounced because i have been known to get words wrong (coming from suffolk n'all).
For example since first seeing a Bianchi in Halfords in the 80's it has always been with the church 'ch', it wasn't until i got to see 'stars and watercarriers' and the part where the guy calls out the riders names and teams at the sign-in, that i found out it was said with a hard 'ch' like a 'k'.
Thank god no-one has ever asked me anything about Ciocc bikes!

So, if you have a definitive answer on how to say 'mavic' it'd be greatly appreciated. Cheers Matt

Mav-ic and Bee-an-chi for me too.

I know Bianchi should be pronounced Bee-an-kee now, but I've said it that way for so long I can't change it :D

AR-CoolC":oz5urvfl said:
Mav-ic and Bee-an-chi for me too.

I know Bianchi should be pronounced Bee-an-kee now, but I've said it that way for so long I can't change it :D

Ditto, which really gets some of the bike snobs I occasionally ride with excited.

Knowing the French it could be something totally different. After all the pronounce Google Goggle and Wifi Wiffy !

Matt70":2jtnp6re said:
As per the title really. For the last 25 years or so myself and everyone i know who's into bikes (just a few mates really :D ) has pronounced mavic with a hard 'c' like in victory, but i was chatting to a young guy at work the other day who's into downhill and dirt jumps and he was talking about his wheels, and he said mavic with the 'c' pronounced like the 'ch' in church.
That got me to wondering how it is pronounced because i have been known to get words wrong (coming from suffolk n'all).
For example since first seeing a Bianchi in Halfords in the 80's it has always been with the church 'ch', it wasn't until i got to see 'stars and watercarriers' and the part where the guy calls out the riders names and teams at the sign-in, that i found out it was said with a hard 'ch' like a 'k'.
Thank god no-one has ever asked me anything about Ciocc bikes!

So, if you have a definitive answer on how to say 'mavic' it'd be greatly appreciated. Cheers Matt

I met the owner and his dreamy daughter back in the 80's when the company was still privately held and they pronounced it like you describe Ma-Vic with the Vic being the same as in Victory. The second syllable is emphasized.

Ciocc is pronounced 'church' - or so I was told many years ago when they were first being introduced and still relatively unknown.

Anyone confirm this?

Gipiemme's another tong twister. I believe its G-P-M.

I think it's a two way street though. I was watching the Tour of the Haur Var on YouTube and the French commentator was getting his knickers in a twist with Jonathan Tiernan-Locke !

Back