Frozen Campag locknut - HELP !!!!

michophull

Retro Newbie
The Campag locknut on my lightweight has frozen solid. I glued it on several years back using some thread lock from a car shop as it kept working loose every few rides.

Can't shift it and neither can my mate who's a car mechanic and stronger than me.

Can anyone give me any advice ? It's not responded to WD40 or brute force and the flats are now rather knackered.

:(

Attachments

• DSC01339.JPG
    DSC01339.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 661
Probably need to apply heat. This usually breaks down threadlock and it'll be needing more than a hairdryer.

if you're willing to sacrifice it in order to get the whole lot apart, then a dremel is the next logical step... if you want it off in one piece, then various combinations of a bench vise, big spanner, long pole, hammer, some heat, and wd40 are the only way to go. I hope you only used loctite on the lockring, not the top cone too!

Thanks for your suggestions so far. I'm considering wrapping the tubes in wet tea towels and using a heat gun. Don't want to ruin the paint though.

I've no objection to locknut destruction as it's now pretty buggered and I've got a spare in the shed. It's alu and I reckon it'll cut easily. I'm also considering cutting diagonally and very carefully with a hacksaw just deep enough so as not to damage the steerer threads.

careful cutting with either a dremel or hacksaw should get you through it. it's not necessary to actually cut all the way through - once you have a cut from top to bottom that's pretty deep, then a screwdriver or other angle in there should be enough to open it out and break the lat uncut parts. you might need another cut on the other side though. I recently removed a very stubborn top crown race like this, and it came off perfectly. That wasn't screwed on though, obviously...

because its alloy it will expand more with heat than the steel steerer tube if they are both at the same elevated temps , do you remember what type of threadlock you used ?

What have you got to heat it with? you only need to heat the locknut as long as its not a flame thrower you should be able to heat the nut without any damage to the frame.

Back