1950s fixie french origin?

gibbleking

Old School Grand Master
just got given this by my gfs dad to mess about with.....

Attachments

• DSC_2224.jpg
    DSC_2224.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 491
  • DSC_2226.jpg
    DSC_2226.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 491
some more....i didnt red oxide the frame but from what i can see there isnt any rust on there at all...not bad for its age.

Attachments

• DSC_2225.jpg
    DSC_2225.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 488
  • DSC_2223.jpg
    DSC_2223.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 488
  • DSC_2227.jpg
    DSC_2227.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 488
last ones...

i do like the chainset ...novel idea..

the bike is very light as well ...i dont have any scales to hand so i cant weigh the bugger....

Attachments

• DSC_2228.jpg
    DSC_2228.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 487
  • DSC_2229.jpg
    DSC_2229.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 487
  • DSC_2230.jpg
    DSC_2230.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 487
What makes you think it's French? It looks like a good quality British 'small builder' frame from the early 50's to me, with those lugs, rear ends (Osgear style) and seat stay tops, possibly a well known one. A bit of research is called for, start here -

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/

Trawl through frame builders and then readers bikes, I'm sure something will jump out at you eventually.

Agree with Ned here, early 1950's, looks like brampton cast lugs. French frame would have bottom bracket threads both right hand.
Possibly made for 26" wheels?
I would expect the chainwheel bolts to loosen.

thanks all...i just wish i knew more about old road bikes...mtbs are more my thing ...but i do appreciate a well lugged frame when i see one...

footnote

the red oxide paint comes off very easily ...it looks to be sound underneath the thick paint...the grease nipple on the bb is handy

oh ...ill be taling a close up of the headset in the morning ...its got silver paint all over it so im not sure i can id the thing...

That chainset looks brilliant. Skinny cranks and close ratio. Seems very worthy of refurb, but striking the balance to keep to it's character.

keithglos":1a0f6y9a said:
I would expect the chainwheel bolts to loosen.

oh yes indeed, especially 40 miles from home and stripping the thread to boot.

thank heaven for clubmates who carry cable ties…

Back