Dura Ace hub woes mark 2

Radar

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
way back in jan I posted a saga of woe re: a 15month old DA 10 speed hub. Hub replaced by me (Madison rep was not too sympathetic). Low and behold it's happened again!

(Less than 1500 miles, all weathers, do not use degreaser when washing bikes, no I don't mess and fiddle)

11 months for a£120 hub :cry:

Freehub has packed in - £75 for replacement part! Freehub not covered by warranty :evil: :!: :evil: :!: :evil: :!:

So slightly numpty question are Hope mono hubs compatable with road frames - spacing ok? Are monos 10 speed compatable?

Need to lie down, not best pleased

hope do do a road hub, you have to specify road though, it runs a standard 9sp freehub body that should take a 10 no problem but i think you will find that you might have to use an ultegra cassette or below or sram, think the dura ace cassette doesn't fit.

hope that helps

On both occassions water has got into the hub and pitted the bearing races. Races so badly pitted that hubs were/are unusable. Second hub - water also got into freehub. :cry:

the problem with dura ace is, it is designed to be serviced regularly, new balls and grease etc and generally i recommend people use a cheaper pair of wheels for winter training.

if you do go to a hope hub it doesn't mean it will never need servicing because of the sealed bearings but it does mean that you can forever replace the sealed bearings and pawl/springs etc, each time making the hub feel like brand new. basically it will always be rebuildable, the shell won't wear out unless you kill the flanges somehow!

DuraAce

I've got DuraAce on a commuter bike I use loads in the winter and the hubs are so well greased that water will never get in. As I said before, the Shimano grease is worse than ear-wax and needs replaced right away. It would take liberal hosing down and then storing in a damp garage to do the damage, but even if they are well greased this shouldnt happen.
I just don't see what the problem is other than maybe a bad batch.

Last generation 9 speed D.A.s take 10 speed cassettes and last a shedload longer....I know, I'm a bat fastard! :LOL:

I'm rebuilding a DA 8 speed hub - what's the best grease? I've got some Du Pont Teflon Bearing Grease.

Standard ( read " gloopy " ) axle grease has always done for me. I'm pretty old skool in my attitude toward grease. Ceramic bearing ( the purple stuff ) is nice if you can get it but by god the price has shot up! Lithium, I can never remember the bloody exceptions for it so I just go the brown thick stuff.

Back