Retro Steel or Ti CX - just a thought - any experiences?

Woz

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I vowed never to buy a road bike again and keep to flat bar MTBs....that was 5 years ago when I sold my ancient Brian Rourke, but I've had an itch for too long now to cock my leg over a decent CX bike.

Anyone give any recommendations and comment on Ti frames over the presumably more available Steel frames? Ideally I'm not interested in a modern but could be disuaded; something classic along these lines:

- fairly short seat-tube
- long top-tube (on a MTB I'm having 23" effective usually)
- 2 x 9, preferably Shimano cassettes
- Bar end or STI
- 35c clinchers; Schwalbe Sammy Slicks look about right
- industrial looking...some silver alloy splattered with black bits

Mainly light off-road use, no jumping or carrying over logs. Reasonable weight and most priority on comfort for long distance hauls.

Would love to hear from anyone who does a bit of MTB XC and CX and could give some pointers. Much appreciated and welcome ALL suggestions, inspiration and advice.

I've just got an Airborne Carpe Diem made in Titanium.

It's running 35 schwalbe marathons and a carbon fork.

It is a very compliant ride and much smoother than my steel frame toured with 23c tyres.

Got to say its a fantastic ride, but I think most of the comfort comes from the bigger tyres.

I am sure a cyclocross in steel or titanium with 35 tyres Will suit your needs.

Cheers chaps; both the Airborne and Litespeed look good.

Anyone give any starting recommendations of CX bike size? I normally have a 18" / 19" c-t MTB with 22.5" / 23" effective top-tube, about a 110 / 120mm 10 deg rise stem and 5 deg flat bars. Probably would be riding on the hoods a fair bit. I guess it's the vogue to have more seat-post showing than say around the late 80s / mid 90s?

i think i saw a cx frame cheap in the 1998 and newer section, i might be wrong. Could be a cheap way to try it out though, mainly to get sizings and all the carry the stuff over to another frame once you know what size suits you.

The problem with many older steel framed CX bikes is that they were only designed for 30mm tyres rather than the wider tyres more commonly used these days. For $600 you can get a new titanium CX frame from Xi'an in China - I have 2 and they're well made for the money.
I'd avoid old Litespeeds, no warranty and they often break.

I'm well happy with my Airborne MTB. The Kocmo reminds me of a now defunct Swedish custom importer of Russian Ti called Magmaa. I really like the brushed / bead blasted / raw Ti over polished. Thanks again for all the tips, especially about tyre widths.

Didn't Voodoo do a Ti CX bike at some point?

Back