Retro Ronde 2012

Old Ned

Old School Grand Master
I know I've mentioned this in general terms recently but it would be interesting to know if anyone on RB is definitely considering going this year. It's an event that I would LOVE to do but it will need some planning for me. For instance, I don't have a current passport so that will have to sorted along with booking accomodation, ferries etc.

Would any of our Belgian/Dutch members be in a position to advise?

It would be good if we could arrange a posse from t'north ;)

http://www.crvv.be/en/museum/activities/retroronde

It does look like fun but at a sprightly 26 years old I don't think my Daccordi would fit in with all those seriously old bikes in the pictures! I also threw out all my old "woollen" jerseys years ago.

What's your oldest bike BTW and would you take that along?

Mark.

hi folks, I'll be going this year, but I'm lucky enough that I'm currently living in belgium (antwerp), so I don't need ferry, but I'd be happy to help out with anything at this side if I can. Just PM me.

daccordimark":175cbldg said:
It does look like fun but at a sprightly 26 years old I don't think my Daccordi would fit in with all those seriously old bikes in the pictures! I also threw out all my old "woollen" jerseys years ago.

What's your oldest bike BTW and would you take that along?

Mark.

I reckon the Daccordi would fit in fine. If you take good look, you will see many people on 'modern' machines, it's the taking part that counts! My oldest is 1958, the Pennine with Benelux Mk 7 gears etc. but I would probably take my soon to be assembled (hopefully!) 'Freddy Maertens Homage' machine along with (almost) matching Bygone Bykes Flandria inspired jersey. I also have several 'period' trade team jerseys (all of which would fit you!) and several other suitable bikes - and you're welcome to use one of them.

It will probably require 'a long weekend', ferry from Hull Friday evening, drive to Roeselare Saturday morning, register and visit the museum etc., eat and BB Saturday night, event on Sunday along with aftermath and somehow get home on Monday. Might be a bit of a rush for Sunday evening ferry unless anyone can advise otherwise?

How does this sound to those who know? Feasible?

BTW, thanks for the offer pmorrise, you may well be hearing from us ;)

Argh, frustrating! I am normally in Belgium but will be in Italy when the Retro RVV is on this year. Would be a bit too much grief to get back.

The 'normal' RVV is also a lot of fun, and quite a few people bring bikes that would count as retro to that as well.

I have a Groene Leeuw from the late 1950's-early 1960's. It is as Flemish as you can get.

Presumably most older bikes would be ok if you maybe put some fatter tyres and more robust wheels on them. And avoid changing gear too much on the cobbles.

If anyone needs any kind of help with arrangements let me know. I think I mentioned last year that the ferry from Hull to Zeebrugge might be a good way for people from the North to get to Belgium. And it would provide a better way to bring a few crates of beer back than poxy Ryanair...

Johnny

It's gone a bit quiet around here ;)

Is there anyone north UK based with a definite interest?

Johnsqual":bfo0eiix said:
When will we see some pictures of this Flandria, Old Ned? :D

Soon, have patience (lovely girl :roll: ).

It's not really a Flandria, it just looks like one (I hope!).

Off on the ferry from Hull on Friday. Riding a 1952 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee. Looking forward to the ride, the jumble, watching the Tour and riding a few cobbles on Tuesday!

delilah":1fzfras4 said:
Off on the ferry from Hull on Friday. Riding a 1952 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee. Looking forward to the ride, the jumble, watching the Tour and riding a few cobbles on Tuesday!

Lucky you!

Contact me for next year!!

You can pick me up on the way over ;)

Back