Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:52 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:53 pm 
Retro Guru

I've just finished reading 'bike snob', it made me laugh and is obviously written by someone who loves cycling, so i'd recommend it.
Two books that i regularly pick off the shelf are 'heroes of the tour de france' and 'kings of the road', both feature great Graham Watson photos of 80's icons (bikes and riders :)).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:04 pm 
Retro Guru

Location: The Lovely Lincolnshire Wolds and by the sea in Sussex
Matt70 wrote:
Two books that i regularly pick off the shelf are 'heroes of the tour de france' and 'kings of the road', both feature great Graham Watson photos of 80's icons (bikes and riders :)).

Both excellent books I agree, bought them both when first published, never tire of reading them as you say.

Another superb book, if you like Graham Watson's work, is his Visions of Cycling first published in 1989. A larger format book than the other two so images are stunning.

Roadking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:33 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

'Sex, Lies and Handlebar Tape', the Jacques Anquetil story. A very revealing look at the life (sporting and personal) and times of one of the greats. Quite a few revelations to me amongst its pages and I now look upon him in a very different light.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:13 am 
Retro Guru

Old Ned wrote:
'Sex, Lies and Handlebar Tape', the Jacques Anquetil story. A very revealing look at the life (sporting and personal) and times of one of the greats. Quite a few revelations to me amongst its pages and I now look upon him in a very different light.

Related, and a very good read, is Vin Denson's The Full Cycle, recommended to me by a close friend of Vin (and Tom).

Rk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:34 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

roadking wrote:
Old Ned wrote:

Related, and a very good read, is Vin Denson's The Full Cycle, recommended to me by a close friend of Vin (and Tom).

Rk.

Yep, read it. There's mention (and photos) of several 'mutual acquantances' in it from his time with the Chester RC.

Just finished a marathon session of 'Tom Simpson'ing', reading the 3 books on his life. The first is his autobiography, 'Cycling is my Life', published after his World Championship win in 1965. Quite simplistic in its account of his life up till then in a 'I did this and then I did that' sort of way. The second is the 'True Story' by his nephew Chris Sidwells, published in 2000, written in a style that - as can be expected from a family member - tries to enhance Tom's image and gloss over the hype and innuendo surrounding his untimely death. The third is William Fotheringham's 'Put Me back on my Bike' from 2004, which is a much more objective attempt to tell the story as it was including the drugs issue, not only for Tom, but for the sport as a whole in that era. Another book that has altered my opinions of my boyhood heroes, not necessarily in a bad way, but opening my eyes to the way the sport was run and the pressures imposed on the riders by their agents, the event organisers, their directeur sportifs and the media. I can see now why they felt the need to 'medicate', in an age where the long term effects of the substances they were taking was not really understood, in order to meet their commitments and contracts and to earn a living whilst doing it.

I can recommend the 'trilogy' if you can find them. Mine came from the Manchester Jumble less then 2 weeks ago - I'm a fast reader :wink:

Wish I was as fast a rider :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:49 pm 
Retro Guru

You should read Fignon's book - not so sure about the rigour of the translation from French though.

One of my heroes; so I am biased.

Roadking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:31 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Some great recommendations here, Amazon's getting a little boost this evening from me :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:36 am 
Retro Guru

Same here, the pile of books waiting to be read is getting bigger... "Sex, Lies and Handlebar Tape" - what a fantastic title!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:20 pm 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

These and other reviews now collated here > Road Cycling Book Reviews.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3