Favourite cycling books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTK

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I am currently reading 'A Dog in a Hat' by Joe Parkin which is a very very good read. My favourite is Tim Hilton's 'One More Kilometre and we're in the Showers.' If you haven't read this- pick it up. Part history of cycling part memoir of a cyclist it is a fantastic evocation of cycling in Britain in the first half of the 20th century.

Depens what you are looking for I can recomend Joe Kermaski Metal Cowboy, The book by Sally Vantress whos name escapes me and anything my Josie dew

My all time favorite: "The Rider" by Tim Krabbé

5653_Tim-Krabbe-the-Rider.jpg

I have The Rider and Fignon's autobiography to read next. Looking forward to both.

Escape Artist by Matt Seaton or In Search of Robert Millar by Richard Moore.

Even though I'm a self confessed cycling anorak I find some of the factual books hard going and to be honest boring. These two are some of the exceptions thoough.

I'm reading Laurent Fignons autobiography at the moment and he doesn't pull any punches.

Didn't know the Rider was a popular book in english as well. But yeah 'de renner' definitly one of my all time favourites. In Holland it's almost considered a cycling bible.

Books.

One of the best books (IMO) ever written about the TdF is Wide Eyed and Legless, by Jeff Connor about the ANC Halfords squad in the 1987 Tour.

I was given it BITD by one of the guys featured; it's being reprinted I believe.

Roule Brittania by William Fotheringham is also a very interesting read - about British riders in the TdF.

Rk.

Blimey........somewhere in the garage I have a book which I think is called "the yellow jersey"

Not a true story but I read it in the 70's and made me think !

Shaun

I know he may come in for some flack, but:
It's not about the bike - LA
& Some more flack perhaps?:
Cavendish's book from a few years ago - Very good sense of humour.

Bradley Wiggins'
Rough Ride - Paul Kimmage
Stephen Roche's Biography

"Put Me Back On My Bike" about Tom Simpson and "Fallen Angel" about Fausto Coppi are both very good. Both written by William Fotheringham. I agree about Tim Krabbés "The Rider" too - see the quote below!

It's not about racing but "Cycling In Europe" by Nick Crane is a lovely and evocative book. Out of date nowadays (when he wrote it he recommended ten-speed tourers and the Euro was several years away) but there are some beautiful line drawings and some great advice. "Cycling keeps you humble" is probably the single best piece of travelling advice I've ever read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back