Modern groupset on a Retro frame - anyone done it

bedraggled

Senior Retro Guru
Has anyone put a modern group set on an old frame?
What problems did you encounter and how did you overcome them?
Eg:
Did you reset from 126mm or did the 'springyness' of steel let you get a modern hub in.
Are there after market barrel adjusters that fit on down tube shifter mounts? etc etc.
Any experiences, pictures, advice, ideas welcomed.

Posting a reply to my own question -
Just found a blog which details almost exactly what I was contemplating.
I've also got a Raleigh and I was also looking at using Silver Campagnolo Veloce.
The more I look at it, the more I like the idea.
Anyone got any other links/ideas?

http://reduxrides.blogspot.com/

I've just done it to a 1990 Peugeot frame: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=181580
Its a 10spd Shimano 105 groupset. I was getting it resprayed anyway so got the rear reset to 130mm. Ended up having to put a slim spacer on the drive side BB shell as the chainline wasn't quite right but other than that no issues at all. Modern chainsets do look a bit bulky on an old skinny tubed frame. With more of a budget I'd probably have gone for a better looking chainset.

Consider the visuals. You will either have to use a quill stem or a new fork . ( The convertors are horrid) Quills are silver usually so what about matching the bars? In fact most modern kit is black and heavy looking. I use the alloy Veloces with much sort out alloy bits. Maybe consider an older chainset with new rings. Old Record kit is very nice. Wheels. Are you going modern aero or older kit. Halo now do a new retro whel set but I think its Shimano only.

willhouse":38cuutwb said:
Did it on my '73 Jack Taylor with 90's bits...

That's very smart :cool:

I keep changing my mind over the build but modern is starting to look the favourite.
Due to getting bikes pinched out of my garage/shed I now keep them in the house so I don't have space for a 'garage queen', which a bike with NOS components would become.
Cost wise new components are seeming much better value because I keep seeing old used components that are on offer for new prices.

Latest posts

Back