Anyone heard of a frame builder called Wally Watkins ?

lastpubrunner

Retro Guru
Anyone heard of a frame builder called Wally Watkins ?

I read a very brief mention of him - and I thought that he had a memorable name for a frame builder.

I believe he had a shop in Liverpool; what were his frames/bikes like ? I can't find any reference to them anywhere.

The owner of a bike shop in Chester also had a memorable name - Claude Crimes ? Anyone remember him ? Did he makes his own frames, or 'buy them in' ?

I remember Claud Crimes' shop, didn't it become Davies's and then Dave Quinn? I could well be very wrong though (as usual!) I wouldn't have thought he would have built his own frames but I do know someone who might - and who MAY know of Wally Watkins.

I (may) be back!

Don't hold your breath though!

Re:

Hi to you all out there. I have only just found this post/reference to Wally Watkins.

Indeed there was a Wally Watkins cycle frame builder in Liverpool,he was thought to have had a lock-up type premises somewhere off of Stanley Road,Bootle and only a short distance from the Harry Quinn shop on Walton Road,Everton;which was just a little nearer to the city than the Astoria Cinema.

Wally Watkins was known for his track frames but was also said to have built a few road frames.
There is/was a Watkins road bike on E'bay until earlier this afternoon. I firmly believe that it is one of a very few that were built - let alone still surviving examples.

A school/cycling friend of mine had his fathers Wally Watkins track bike (Red stove enamelled frame with a fixed wheel).
Both Wally Watkins and James (Jim) Fothergill were pals of my late father,he would often speak of them during my teenage years in Liverpool.
My own steed was a twice pre-owned 19.5" 1937 Hetchins Vibrant Triangle (Curly) listed as a Two day special Brilliant Track Frame. It was reputedly ridden at Herne Hill before it ended up in Liverpool and gifted to another cycle/school friend of mine.

That's interesting info. Sorry I didn't get back to you but I never got to see the guy I mentioned.

I had a Fothergill and an HQ in the 60's.

Old Ned":35tykpr0 said:
That's interesting info. Sorry I didn't get back to you but I never got to see the guy I mentioned.

Hi O N. James Fothergill frames/bikes were a bit like Rocking Horse Muck even in those days.
If you lived in Liverpool or in the immediate vicinity you just might well know myself or indeed some of the lads that were about at the time.
Les Brown,Billy Tucknott,Norman Carr,Tony West,Phil Towler (Teapot Lug Towler) to name but a few.
My steed was a rather unusual and much gazed-at 19.5" Black Hetchins Vibrant Triangle (Curly) Track Frame. I sold it (very foolishly) in March 1967 after getting married and nowhere to store it.
The bike was originally on Fixed Wheel but was later remodelled after getting it back after some light-fingered T*at nicked it and totally stripped it after I had only just had it remodelled to road drop-outs with a 5spd block and double Stronglight rings.
The last couple of years saw the bike with full chromed forks.
I had cycling mates with Harry Quinn,H&J Quinn,B&D Hughes,Bates (Cantiflex),Eddie Soens,Walvale,James Fothergill and of course my Technical High School mate George Munday with his red Wally Watkins.

the45rooster":31hvk1si said:
Old Ned":31hvk1si said:

Hi O N. James Fothergill frames/bikes were a bit like Rocking Horse Muck even in those days.
If you lived in Liverpool or in the immediate vicinity you just might well know myself or indeed some of the lads that were about at the time.
Les Brown,Billy Tucknott,Norman Carr,Tony West,Phil Towler (Teapot Lug Towler) to name but a few.
My steed was a rather unusual and much gazed-at 19.5" Black Hetchins Vibrant Triangle (Curly) Track Frame. I sold it (very foolishly) in March 1967 after getting married and nowhere to store it.
The bike was originally on Fixed Wheel but was later remodelled after getting it back after some light-fingered T*at nicked it and totally stripped it after I had only just had it remodelled to road drop-outs with a 5spd block and double Stronglight rings.
The last couple of years saw the bike with full chromed forks.
I had cycling mates with Harry Quinn,H&J Quinn,B&D Hughes,Bates (Cantiflex),Eddie Soens,Walvale,James Fothergill and of course my Technical High School mate George Munday with his red Wally Watkins.

I had an Eddie Soens as well (strictly speaking, Billy's I suppose!). I'm not from 'the 'Pool' (actually Wrexham, which in those days, on a Saturday night, might well have been a part of Liverpool!) but did know a lot of the Merseyside and Wirral lads in the early and mid 60's, especially from TT'ing in West Cheshire and L'Pool TTCA events.

Attachments

• RhosonSea25May67.2.A.jpg
    RhosonSea25May67.2.A.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,880
Re:

Hi again O N. Do I see a triple chainring set-up and a Brooks B17 on your Soens ?

Chances are that the paint-work was the handy work of Gerry Cunningham at C&G Finishers,Liverpool when they were in Back Faulkner St.

They are now in Smithdown Road,Liverpool. I recently had a second bike - a Benotto Modelo 850 totally stripped and re-stove enamelled by them.

This Benotto was rescued from a charity shop in Leeds and had been severely neglected and horrendously bodged.

Hopefully a slightly larger image.

Attachments

• Benotto @ 100px.jpg
    Benotto @ 100px.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 1,859
  • The Benotto @ 600px.jpg
    The Benotto @ 600px.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,821
No, just a 52/44 double, Stronglight/TA and a Brooks Professional. Definitely C&G paintwork with the unique handpainted builder's name. My Quinn when new was C&G with my name and club name added. I had the Quinn resprayed there there which I collected from their Back Faulkner St. premises and couldn't believe the conditions they worked in! A C&G finish is very recognisable.

Hi again. O N. Yes,the finish is really quite remarkable considering that it is still a hand finished process but I do not think that the Stove Enamelled finish is as hard as it was all of those years ago. It might be something to do with the paints having been reformulated in accordance with Health & Safety rulings.
My main bike is a 50cm Bianchi Via Nirone7 Alu Carbon in Celeste.

C&G recently did me a total re-stove enamelled finish in Flamboyant Blue on a 51cm Steve Goff - Columbus frame-set but it is being assembled with chromed front forks. The original chromed forks were pitted and were refinished as per the frame so will remain as spare.

Back