48cm Drops!

JustKev

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Wasn't sure where to post this thread!

I just found these 48cm drops on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0168394792

I always thought road bars were only made up to 46cm wide?????

Does anybody know of any 48cm wide cyclo-cross specific bars with some flair at the bottom available in the UK? Otehrwise I'll have to swallow teh shipping on these :roll:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
MadCowKev":2ox13zx0 said:
I always thought road bars were only made up to 46cm wide?????

I think you're right, road bars are only up to 46 cm (and these aren't really 48's as that measurement is flared end to flared end - imagine what those very flared On One bars would measure!).

Other flared bars to look at, bar the On Ones and WTB Dirtdrops (Williwoods has some of the latter for sale) are the Salsa Bell Lap Bars.

I'd imagine the On Ones or Salsa's would not be a problem to get hold of

Bars

Well, 'they don't make them like they used to' that's for sure. Up until a month ago I was using a pair of Mavic SSC bars on an old Holdsworth that were............50cm wide c-c! They had a huge drop too. I think the Kas team or PDM Panasonic were using them at the time. Or was it Hinault?
Anyway, far too wide for my shoulders but they were quite a comfortable bend.

Re: Bars

lelobysfoot":2e2estzv said:
Well, 'they don't make them like they used to' that's for sure. Up until a month ago I was using a pair of Mavic SSC bars on an old Holdsworth that were............50cm wide c-c! .

what happened to them? Would you sell them?

bars

I should have said, I sold the bike complete last month. Sorry.
I build it in 1986 and the LBS owner handed me a catalogue (might have been Chickens) but he was pi**ing himself when I chose them. He always gave me stick for them. Horses for courses I thought. Another thing about them was their VERY tight fit into a Cinelli stem (which was 26.4mm). I think they might have have been for a Mavic stem but the old 'reverse bolt tightening trick' squeezed them in.

Stick Legs":14x6dcs5 said:
I am running 46cm profile road bars on my Dyna Tech roadie. Widest I could find circa 1994.

Yes - I'm running 46's on my Yeti but it's still a bit twitchy at low speeds and I thought if i can get something wider......

Have asked the ebay seller the question!

its possible

I run 46 c-c on my two road bikes and my cross bike. Salsa is teh big producer of these sizes, but they don't seem to go beyond 46cm c-c. I once had Salsa Bell Laps and they were in fact 46cm across the tops, but flared, therefore having a 52cm or so width at the bar ends. They weren't ridiculous, in my opinion

Titec would be one brand that might step up to the plate and make 48cm bars. I once saw a used set of Syncros road bars 50cm c-c - stupid wide!

Also, I am pretty sure that the Rivendell website sells 48cm Nitto bars. These are beautiful bars and highly recommended, but quite expensive. Nitto makes gorgeous stuff...

Good luck,

Darren

Back