Colnago master

Olivier78

Retro Newbie
I'm looking for informations about this colnago master frame. I bought the complete bike recently and the owner could not tell me the year of the frame. I think it has been built in the second half of the 80s (because of decals and fork) but not sure. Any idea :?:

Thanks for your help.

I'll get the obvious comment out of the way - that is absolutely stunning, you are a very lucky man.

I think the Master was launched in 1984 (and then through iterations the Master Pui, Master Olympic and Master X-Lite). The Prescia straight fork was also launched but I'm not sure quite when and this may help with dating your bike because you have standard raked forks (are they original?).

So, as a guess (and I am far from an expert), I'd say 1985-1987 but I think you have already worked that out. Sorry not to be more helpful, that is a gorgeous bike.

ededwards":1tqy8dj0 said:
I'll get the obvious comment out of the way - that is absolutely stunning, you are a very lucky man.
I get the bike for nothing with 501 hubs and other little things. In fact the paint has some dents and fork/lugs are oxydized.

I think the Master was launched in 1984 (and then through iterations the Master Pui, Master Olympic and Master X-Lite). The Prescia straight fork was also launched but I'm not sure quite when and this may help with dating your bike because you have standard raked forks (are they original?).

So, as a guess (and I am far from an expert), I'd say 1985-1987 but I think you have already worked that out. Sorry not to be more helpful, that is a gorgeous bike.

Thanks for your help.

I'm sure that it is not the first model (not the same front lugs). The first models seems to have raked forks, I think that straight fork arrived in the early 90s but I'm not sure.

If it can help there is an inscription on a decal : "ten times world champion" or something like that.

Colnago

Having a few Colnago's myself i'd have to agree with the previous posting that this is an 84-85 vintage Master. The components (which look in great condition!) seem reasonably consistent with that period as well.

I've a Master X-lite, it is still the best ride on the rough peak district roads. Enjoy your bike.

Regards, Stuart

I'm not sure when the Prescia straight fork was introduced, I think 86-87?

Anyway, it matters little how old it is , just ride it and love it!

try email to
isaia@colnago
he is the archivist
send some pics inc the frame no
lots of the older info was lost(burnt!!!) during a factory move but many of the workforce have been there years and can remember things in good detail
used him in the past for info on a couple of saronnis,a mexico and a super i had
mind you may take sometime to get back to you as the italians seem to keep strange working hours
but who is to say they got it wrong and we have it right
hope it helps
tony

tshzg":2atv13ly said:
the italians seem to keep strange working hours
but who is to say they got it wrong and we have it right

I'm saying they got it wrong. I have contact with italian counterparts with regard to warranty on a daily basis.

They are selling stuff to us, which we sell on to stores who have to deal with punters who have consumer protection legisation on their side. If dealers get sufficiently frustrated with constantly being in the fireline because of Italian practices, they will take their business elsewhere.

If Italian companies want to do business, they have to take their business partners into account. For their own sakes.....

somone taking it all a little too seriously?
in england perhaps denmark too,we appear to live to work in that all our time is devoted to work
in italy and a few other mediteranean countries they work to live and dont let work get in the way of having a good time
it was just a comment about a lifestyle that accepts a 3 hour lunchbreak is morally aceptable and the job will get done eventually
if you dont like it buy a jap or american bike!!!

It just saddens me to see the Italians failing to keep up with the likes of Scott, Cannondale, Trek and Specialized.... They have a good product, but the after-sale service is non-existent. The warranty offered by Italian makers is nearly always the bare minimum. The consumer these days is so savvy that they will die out if they don't update their attitude to customer care.

Too serious - for sure - but I would hate to see a bike world which is totally dominated by huge corporations. It's bad enough already....

Back