Dyna-Tech 753 Super U mystery

desmondo

Retro Guru
Or maybe not.

I've acquired a Dyna-Tech 753 frame which was sent to my local framebuilder for a replacement build. It came from Xpedia who were a cycle parts wholesale/distribution company. They used to supply the Super U / Castorama Raleigh team, so I'm told.
The frame in question is cracked on the rear chain stay but the most interesting part is the frame number LF P0057.
I presume the P is for Product (Special Products) and the 57 denoting the frame size. What I am hoping is that the LF is what I think it is.

Attachments

• DT1.jpg
    DT1.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 4,920
  • DT2.jpg
    DT2.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 4,921
  • DT3.jpg
    DT3.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 4,921
Very interesting. It is defo a Dyna-Tech. ALL Dyna-Tech frames were made at Raleigh Special Products in Nottingam, and ONLY there.

As to the frame numbering, I have my own made to measure XMT100 metal matrix composite frame which does not have the usual SBDU numbering on the bb shell.

So, It is quite possible that it is what you think it is. We made a number of frames for each rider ( A friend has a Bjarne Riis frame ) and some where used and others not.

Thanks for the info.
I know the bonded Dyna-Tech frames were used in the Raleigh teams for a short while but were replaced with a standard frame construction later.
I suppose there's no real definitive way to know if it was his since the Xpedia doesn't trade anymore.
I after say that it's the first Bonded Dyna-tech frame I've seen with a 753 transfer rather than a Raleigh composite tubing one.

Your right, unfortunatley, no definative way to find out. With regards to the tubing sticker, we used the Reynolds ones on really early frames as we had not decided how to specify what we were doing. The eventual reason to replace the Reynolds decals was because by using no heat in the joint areas, no degredation took place.

I don't know who xpedia are but as to the source of the frame, it can only have come out via someone originally at Raleigh Special Products.

Interesting thread Des. Just to add another dimension I've found this Graham Watson shot of Fignon in the '89 Tour in Systeme U colours - but the frame is steel (isn't it?). When were the Dynatech frames introduced? Do they relate to his Castorama days rather than Systeme U? Very similar colour schemes.

The frame in the photo also looks slightly larger than yours but this could be an optical/photographic illusion!

Nice bar tape, you must follow this if you restore it ;)

Attachments

• Fignon1989Tour.A.jpg
    Fignon1989Tour.A.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 4,802
Old Ned":glcrptwl said:
Interesting thread Des. Just to add another dimension I've found this Graham Watson shot of Fignon in the '89 Tour in Systeme U colours - but the frame is steel (isn't it?). When were the Dynatech frames introduced? Do they relate to his Castorama days rather than Systeme U? Very similar colour schemes.

The frame in the photo also looks slightly larger than yours but this could be an optical/photographic illusion!

Not sure on that one? Maybe they went from trad construction to bonded then back to trad.
It's going to be one for the wall, I may restore it though if I can afford C Record bits.

John":h0u07i8k said:
Really nice find :cool:
Thanks.

I saw it hung up covered in dust and I told the previous owner I always wanted one because of Fignon. I never thought that it may be one of his bikes.
It was a really lucky find because Xpedia threw away a skip full of frames when they went under.

Old Ned":2w20yl1v said:

Systeme U = Super U = Castorama.

Not sure Fignon ever rode Dynatech...some smarty pants will no doubt contradict me :D

Roadking.

Back