Help, In Need Of Info... (Raleigh 653 with Campagnolo)

Bike Hoarder

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
I've aquired another bike, just can't help myself. Anyway, i can tell you it's a Raleigh, and that it's 653, and reading other posts it could be a Quantum or Quadra. But the thing that baffles me, is what components are fitted and thier age, being more of a mountain bike fan, my knowledge of road bikes is fairly limited. Can anyone tell??[/img]

Attachments

• DSCF2514.JPG
    DSCF2514.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,933
  • DSCF2515.JPG
    DSCF2515.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,932
  • DSCF2516.JPG
    DSCF2516.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,932
  • DSCF2517.JPG
    DSCF2517.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,932
Bike Hoarder":u1wjrvbc said:
I've aquired another bike, just can't help myself. Anyway, i can tell you it's a Raleigh, and that it's 653, and reading other posts it could be a Quantum or Quadra. But the thing that baffles me, is what components are fitted and thier age, being more of a mountain bike fan, my knowledge of road bikes is fairly limited. Can anyone tell??

pics!

At a guess I'd say brake caliper is Gran Sport/Victory, same for the chainset although I'm far from an authority. Thinking further, if it was original kit on a 653 frame then Victory perhaps more likely.

Gran Sport and Victory were at the 'entry level' of the Campagnolo groupset hierarchy, good solid stuff but not likely to set the world on fire. Oh, and due to the unusual bcd you may have problems getting replacement chainrings for the chainset (although the teeth in the picture look like they have loads of life left).

The frame isn't a specific model - Raleigh sold framesets on their own in the late 80's and I remember this one from the catalogue.

There was never a complete bike with a 653 frame in the normal range - it used to top out at the 531c Road Ace with Ultegra and then the Dynatechs arrived - although one of the Dynatech framesets was pretty much 653 with a different label - 2070 I think.

Brake calipers are gran sport (pre 1985)
Front mech and Chainset is Triomphe or Victory (hard to tell apart).

dbmtb":l6r64qvp said:
Brake calipers are gran sport (pre 1985)
Front mech and Chainset is Triomphe or Victory (hard to tell apart).

It's rare that I'm close to getting it right!

Back