It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:46 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:30 pm 
r.B.o.T.M. & P.o.T.M. Winner

renaultvation wrote:
Here is a recent picture:

Since the photograph, I have replaced the saddle with a brooks B17 and fitted full length polished alloy mudguards to replace the original shorties in deference to my age. I converted the bike to a 10 speed in the 1980s as the frame had the necessary lugs etc. The rear stay wraps around the seat pillar like a Carlton and the original wheel nuts are Carlton items with a red 'C' in the centre. The front wheel is original, but the rear was replaced in the mid 70s following damage and is not in such good condition.

I appreciate that the bike is not valuable, but to me it has tremendous sentimental value and I have kept it largely original. My parents are now both in their 80s and I recently asked them if I had looked after it sufficiently well. They were happy and said that I did not have to repay the £17. :D

Thats lovely to see. More pictures please.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:32 pm 

My recent build

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=263058

more here:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=257059&hilit=sun+snipe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:48 pm 

renaultvation wrote:
Here is a recent picture:

Since the photograph, I have replaced the saddle with a brooks B17 and fitted full length polished alloy mudguards to replace the original shorties in deference to my age. I converted the bike to a 10 speed in the 1980s as the frame had the necessary lugs etc. The rear stay wraps around the seat pillar like a Carlton and the original wheel nuts are Carlton items with a red 'C' in the centre. The front wheel is original, but the rear was replaced in the mid 70s following damage and is not in such good condition.

I appreciate that the bike is not valuable, but to me it has tremendous sentimental value and I have kept it largely original. My parents are now both in their 80s and I recently asked them if I had looked after it sufficiently well. They were happy and said that I did not have to repay the £17. :D

Hi, I've just joined the forum and I have a bike just like this, which is a big help in dating as my frame number is kind of weird! Stamped on the rear dropout is 2, then what looks like the top of a partly stamped 3, followed by 8076. I bought the frame in my LBS. The rest is mainly new, though the rather nice Weinmann levers came from a jumble. It's meant to be my shopping bike but now it seems way too nice for that! I was interested to see comments that the wraparound seat stays were a feature of the Snipe Plus. As you can see, this is definitely a Snipe. I've made it a five-speed, although it does have a braze-on for the front gear cable. Lovely to ride!

Attachments:
Sun - 1.jpg
Sun - 1.jpg [ 358.39 KiB | Viewed 149 times ]
Sun - 5.jpg
Sun - 5.jpg [ 199.5 KiB | Viewed 149 times ]
Sun - 6.jpg
Sun - 6.jpg [ 506.74 KiB | Viewed 149 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:15 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

I have two catalogues from 1968/9 for Sun . Pictures are not in colour . If anyone with one these machines please pm . £2 a copy including .Money to poppy fund .

Re Raleigh choppers .It is worth remembering they saved Raleigh from closing back then .1.5 million made 8) :P
Then the Bomber.... :lol: