1 last try to name a frame.

Some Guy

Retro Guru
I've got some more details linked to my sig below, but in essence the original owner told me this was a 1959 Dayton, although that appears to be incorrect. Before I get it professionaly painted I would like to get some makers transfers made up for it. Hence the question.

I've taken some close up photos of the bits people usualy ask for:
99pc44.jpg
2v00v1h.jpg
"Cyclo reg design"
161n8up.jpg
zlfdbs.jpg
13yqza.jpg
33y3q4j.jpg
imi89i.jpg

I will add that the frame number (11495) on the steerer tube has the 1st 2 digits upside down, but the right way up under the BB, if that means anything?

:oops: Also I must 'fess up to carefully removing the 3 speed shifter boss an brake and shifter cable guides from the top tube. Shifter cable guides from the seat stays AND the rear centre pull brake cable hanger. That still leaves the pump pegs and nipple to hold on the clamp on friction shifters in place. It had far to many braze ons for my likeing and still has enough for gears and brakes. Also I was going to put some flipped north road bars on it, but didn't, so maybe there's hope for me yet ;)

Any ideas on a manufacturer or approx year??

Cheers
Mark

P.S. I'm getting my mitts on a original Carlton Corsa Strada at the end of the week. I'm refurbing it, but leaving it completly STOCK, gears and all!!.. :D

Best I can do: Cyclo ends were imitation forged, mid to end 1950's, usually with benelux gear hanger.
Steel saddle pillar would suggest plain tubing. Fluted top eyes in several Holdsworth/Holdsworthy late 1950's.
Down tube pump would imply non-racing, if you mean top tube gear lever boss that is very odd.
Hundreds of builders used nervex pro, most would have used butted tubing. Frame number does not suggest Holdsworth.
Is the rear brake bridge curved and hollow? Also does the location help?

Many thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

The seat post is a Reynolds dome top hindiminimmmum (sorry I always spell it incorrectly), I've just polished it up hence it's shiny (must be a phase I'm going through :) ), I measured it at approx 27mm.

The existing rear brake bridge is hollow and straight. Although (the one originally above it) the centre pull one, that I cut / ground off looked forged/moulded? It was solid and had a bit of shape to it. Unfortuanatley I don't have any photos.

You can see where the I'm assuming 3 speed gear lever boss (on the top tube) was removed, in one of the 1st photos on the link in my sig. It was oblong with an additional raised section on it, with a threaded hole to screw something into it. The cable guides for, I again assume, the 3 speed SA hub on the seat stays were cylindrical and quite chunky!

The bottom of the rear drop outs are smooth and profiled, I don't think any gear hangers have been cut off, certainly not by me.

There seemed to many gearing braze on options, so I thought maybe some had been added when it was refinished without its transfers?

I've been told that there used to be a frame builder on each street corner an hence I was unlikely to be able to put a name to it. Just thought the upside down numbers on the steerer tube might help, an maybe top tube shifter might confirm it as more likely '50s and not '60s???

Once again thanks for the reply.

Mark

Just saw the other thread, Dayton did a terrible electric welded thing with 1 inch soft iron tubes which actually looked quite decent for the early 1950's. I saw the team bikes which were obviously stronger, Bedwells had angle fillets brazed up the tubes from the bottom bracket.
Seeing the forks makes it look earlier than 1955, but a rear brake bridge would be later. Looks like something that got a bit modified during it's life. It must have started with a tall headset to have room for a Campagnolo with 3/16 balls. We used to use the track headset when a bit short of column height.
I was a lightweight retailer in the 50 / 60's, and up to about 1955 the Airlight with Weinmann Alesa was a fairly standard upmarket wheel.
When we got FB and Campagnolo hubs with hard chrome cones BH were not in the game.

I'd read about the Dayton Almagan(?) "jelly beans" when I was googling Dayton originaly, supposed to be flexy?!

The welding/brazing (excuse my ignorance) on the centre pull brake bridge didn't look as neat, possibly added later then.

I don't remember any rivet holes when I had the fork out, when I was building it up, thats not to say there aren't any tho. Just didn't really know to look inside the head tube (I'll know next time!).

But on the basis that the forks are original, based on frame number, is it fair to to say that it's mid-1950's then? Don't think it can be earlier, I remember reading something on the classic lightweights site about the the later Nervex Pro lugs only being introduced in 1956 or something? (based on my poor memory!)

Your 1st hand experiences are priceless and much appreciated. Your posts always make interesting reading. Do you think it was originaly a tourer frame and not a regular road frame?

Iwasgoodonce":1n19o6i7 said:
I can't help with what it is but I like what I see. Can we have a whole bike picture please.
Cheers, its my occasional commuter / pub bike ;) although I appreciate it's not to every ones taste. Theres a link in my sig at the bottom; click on ""circa '50s/'60s fixed gear"

cheers, its my 1st full build from a box of bits. Shouldn't say this but frame and all bits cost me £20 :shock: Chap was happy to sell because I was keen!

That was of course excluding the NOS rims, spokes, tyres, tubes, front hub, chainring, fixed cog, lock ring, pads and a few shiny bolts & bits.

Back