Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:12 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:36 pm 
Retro Guru

I'm attempting to restore an '86 Record Ace.

The drive side bb cup had seized a bit and had a game getting the thing off (not having much luck with bb's lately :) ).

It got me thinking though, when restoring a bike, the stuff like cables and brake blocks and chain get replaced but what about the bb? The sealed units seem simpler to fit, but is it desirable to keep the old bb on there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:34 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

Personally if the BB is still servicable then I'd give it a clean and re-grease and re-use it, if not then the cartridge style BB's are simplicity itself to fit and maintain.
Cables I'd probably replace as a matter of course, chain would go if excessively worn, and brake blocks would get cleaned and if in good nick would be reused too.

It's good to try and keep things retro, but if it's beyond saving then I see nothing wrong with replacing it with a modern equivalent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:46 am 

I agree. If you don't see it & it doesn't bother you & it allows you to keep using the bike, then go with a more up to date BB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:43 pm 
Retro Guru

I've picked up some bearings from the lbs, so will try and repack it and get it adjusted right, if i struggle too much I'll replace with a sealed unit. I think really I'd like to see it kept original if I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:20 pm 
Retro Guru

old school cup bb i find it much better, just the ability to maintain and fix them...a sealed bb may be maintenance free but when it goes wrong you have to just throw it away, it seems very wasteful in my eyes at least... but that said they do last so long that its a pretty void point.

I think what i was trying to say is that the old ones are just as good as the new ones in many senses...I mean i'd like to see how many sealed bearings are around 30 years from now! mainly because you can't just repack them and carry on.