Dynamo cable routing

Broady

Retro Guru
I'm currently doing a clean-up job on a 1957 Carlton but this is the first time I've ever had a build with a Dynamo involved so am effectively a complete beginner.

It came with the wires electrical taped to the frame but this has left the paint worn away underneath. Is there any ideal way to route these wires when I re-build it all or is it just a case of taping them to brake cables?

one tip I'll add is to not use a single wire and the frame as earth. A seperate earth wire always proves more reliable. I used wire with 2 strands joined, like speaker wire.

routing is difficult, but insides of mudguards with tape is good and I once (crappy frame tho) drilled a small hole in the down tube and routed it inside the frame.

Assuming it's a bottle dynamo or dynohub on the front I would route it only to the front light, and run an LED at the rear. This saves on loads of wiring and the LED also will protect you from being rear-ended when waiting at junctions.

As said, two wires is much more reliable than one, and it's best to solder all connections as water and salt tend to make anything else unreliable.

Back