Early Thanet Frameset VERY RARE!

Bristol

Dirt Disciple
Picked this up t'other day, I have no idea who its original makers are/were. But I think I now know where GT drew their inspiration for the triple triangle frame design!

I'd love to build it up with all period correct components, but I haven't a clue where to start.

Any info/ideas/general help is much appreciated

No problem fella, indeed they're beautiful, not seen much similar before.

It's also surprisingly very light, considering its vintage

I'm guessing from your username that you're Bristol-based. That, the "T" logos on the headtube and the GT-style seat cluster all suggested a Thanet [1] frame to me, but it hasn't got their characteristic cradled BB shell assembly (see http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bi ... le-rb.html).

:?

David

[1] Geographically confusing. The bloke who founded the marque was based in Bristol but originally from Kent, hence the name.

Thanks so much for that, I definitely agree on it being a Thanet.

I guess it's going to cost a fortune to build up, better start raising funds!

Bristol, You have a Thanet Silverthan, looks like a fairly late one, perhaps around 1952?
I am unable to open the pics.
The "T" is just a simple pressing tacked on almost everywhere. Quite a decent frame of it's time, but vastly overrated by collectors, although not as much as the stupid "Silverlight" with the ridiculous cradled bottom bracket.
Before you attack it you might think of selling it to a collector, or at least get some sort of valuation. You could try well known dealer Hilary Stone, just off the top of Muller Road, he has gathered some stuff on Thanets, and actually thinks they are wonderful.

As much as I'd hate to admit it, I think it would be better off in the hands of a collector. Do you have any idea of a rough value?

ill just put it up for auction on ebay and see how it goes.

thanks so much for your help

Bristol, H Stone is www.hilarystone.com. As he is a trader, his offer could be well below what a direct sale might make, but it would be a start.
You will need some decent close up detail pics, and a fair idea of damage.
I took on the meagre remains of Thanet Cycles in 1958, and left the vastly over-engineered frame jigs behind a little later.
I have no frame number data, but if you wanted me to have a quick look at the frame I am in Tetbury.
Keith

I didn't want to contact Hilary Stone because, as you've stated, I know his offer is likely to be lower than the market value and didn't want to waste his time when I had no intention of actually selling/buying anything from him.

I'm just going to pop over to my friends house where I'm storing the frame and will note down the frame no.

Give me 30mins or so

Back